Panama Jacks

GoldenMotor.com

BlueLine774

Apr 11, 2018
Was looking for a new project(s) to start this Spring and stumbled on some youtube vids of motorized bikes. I've been reading forums like this one and checking out different part sites since then. Yesterday I picked up 2 Huffy Panama Jacks for $30 on clearance.

One of them has some scuffs from being on the rack at Walmart for so long. I'm planning on building that one first and learning from it. The other one is really clean and I'll build that one using what I learn from the first.

To be street legal in SD it will be considered a moped and have to be 49cc, brake light, headlight, mirror, and horn. I'm planning on using a CNC hub sprocket adapter after reading about the ease of install along with a engine mounted spring loaded chain tensioner. Will also be adding caliper brakes with the help of friend who worked at a bike shop for years.

Should be fun.

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!! That's a really good buy on those bikes!

The Huffy's have a known problem with the fender mounting tabs.........they tend to break with the additional vibration from the engine. If one breaks, it can cause life-threatening events (there's several on this site that can attest to this). We always 'suggest' that you delete the fenders. Some have had problems with the rear rack attachment welds breaking, also. All of the Huffy cruisers are in the generic "Cranbrook" family in case you need to search for additional info.

Oh, be sure to add a front caliper brake to your bike. The Huffy rear brake internals are really weak.

Best of luck in your upcoming adventure!

Reactions: indian22

carl clack

Apr 16, 2018
San Diego
Was looking for a new project(s) to start this Spring and stumbled on some youtube vids of motorized bikes. I've been reading forums like this one and checking out different part sites since then. Yesterday I picked up 2 Huffy Panama Jacks for $30 on clearance.

One of them has some scuffs from being on the rack at Walmart for so long. I'm planning on building that one first and learning from it. The other one is really clean and I'll build that one using what I learn from the first.

To be street legal in SD it will be considered a moped and have to be 49cc, brake light, headlight, mirror, and horn. I'm planning on using a CNC hub sprocket adapter after reading about the ease of install along with a engine mounted spring loaded chain tensioner. Will also be adding caliper brakes with the help of friend who worked at a bike shop for years.

Should be fun.
im in SD lets ride sometimes!