Original board track racing wheels & tires?

GoldenMotor.com

Stinky Finger

Jul 26, 2010
Leicester, New York
Gentlemen, I've been searching a bit to locate a source for motorcycle tires & wheels of the correct size to match the original board track racers of the early 20th century. So far have come up with diddly squat.

We have all seen the vids on YouTube of original vintage bikes being raced recently (Germany). What size are those tires? Where the **** do they get them?
Certainly these guys aren't running 90 year old rubber, they have a source somewhere. Am I chasing rainbows? Leprechauns be damned, that pot of gold is out there somewhere and I aim to find it!

Anybody have any clues?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
SF, I will ask, at a couple other unrelated boards where I have a few global contacts.
All resourceful type people with varied interests.
Perhaps one of them might be able to provide a euro zone source???

Unfortunately, the concept of a reasonable price just flies out the window when looking for a true replica of some antique design... I suppose the rarity is partly why we enjoy them so much.

Skinflint that I am, I always went for the cheng shins, as a decent hard-rubber tire at low cost. Now they have changed to Maxxis the end result for us will probably be More Money!

Good luck
rc

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I was thinking of doing this also, for a while. Never did, mainly due to the cost $$$....

In the USA - Coker sells the tires (and I *think* the rims) and there's at least two different places to get the rims (the two places that sell board-track motorcycle reproductions,,,, uh,,,, Timeless Motor Company, ,,,and the other one I forget. But there's at least two in the US).

I have no idea where to get them in Europe, but I know there must be someplace, because there's rebuilt vintage motorcycles there also. And I have seen photos online of a ribbed-style board-track-type tire (mounted on a vintage motorcycle) that was not one of the patterns that Coker makes or sells. So there must be another tire company out there too.

You just get the rims drilled for whatever-spoke-number you want, and then lace them to whatever-hub you're using. 36 spokes is typical for both bicycles and motorycles (both ancient and modern); 40 spokes was the heavy-duty arrangement.