OMFG!! OMFG!! I HATE FLAT TIRES!!! this is how i reduced them

GoldenMotor.com

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
so i live in the big city, millions of morons in the area. some good people too, just not in my hood. lol. jk. anyway, so many people up here tht like to throw out their empty bottles when drinking and driving. been getting a flat tire ever ride since the weather changed. after $300 of tubes and tires ( glass shreds tires, even the kevlar ones) i decided i need a better way. i was tired of walking my bike when i had a plentiful reserve of fuel left and the motor was still kosher. so here is what i did::

i got on the net and started hunting. i came across a new company tht makes airless tires. well they didn't make them in my size, but upon looking today, they now do. these tires aren't really foam, more like rubber. anyway, i bought what they call tire armor, it's 15mm thick and add's 2mm to the side walls too. then i bought a 1/8 inch thick super tube. i also got a set of tire liners. first i cut the tire armor to fit ( they dont make my size), i slide it in the tire ( on the rim), then i slide in both of the liners on top of the armor. was a bit of a pain, but got it all in nice. then i took the way super thick tube and wrestled it for 20 mins till i got it in too. then i set the wings in place over the now inserted tube. the armor has wings of 2mm remember. then i slide the tire( an anti puncture tire with kevlar) bead in, it's a super, super tight fit at this point. you need tire irons. then i inflate and deflate the tube a few times and rock it all a bit to make sure it's all seated. then just fill the tire and put it back on my bike.

the armor is pretty awesome. helps cushion the ride, even when running low pressures on the trails. prevents flats for the most part, haven't got one yet. it also is a slow speed run flat for up to 15 miles or so. while it does make my back a bit heavier, it is holding up really well. i've had a few oh f@$# , moments and came through with out a flat. the armor even prevents pinch flats. not bad for $40( plus tube, liners and tire). next bike i'm gonna build it to specifications to tires they sell and try a set out. they guarantee them for 5000 miles, rain, snow, cold, or hot.

Reactions: EZL

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
It's just my experience.. But, I've come to be very leery of these 'flatless' tube replacements.

Some of them are complete garbage, they're like solid heavy foam that doesn't quite fill the tire casing, they're near impossible to install and demount when you do need to remove the tire. and the big issue I have with them is they 'feel' squirmy when riding on them. A weird, wandering disconnected from the handlebars kind of feel. it's not safe feeling and you cannot pick a precise line when making small corrections all the time just to keep the bike headed straight.

With Bell making new Kevlar armoured casing folding tires, add a heavy duty, thorn proof tube and Mr-Tuffy's tire liner, you shouldn't need to use 'Flatless' tubes and tires.

And don't get me started on Slime's crappy puncture stopping green goo.

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
It's just my experience.. But, I've come to be very leery of these 'flatless' tube replacements.

Some of them are complete garbage, they're like solid heavy foam that doesn't quite fill the tire casing, they're near impossible to install and demount when you do need to remove the tire. and the big issue I have with them is they 'feel' squirmy when riding on them. A weird, wandering disconnected from the handlebars kind of feel. it's not safe feeling and you cannot pick a precise line when making small corrections all the time just to keep the bike headed straight.

With Bell making new Kevlar armoured casing folding tires, add a heavy duty, thorn proof tube and Mr-Tuffy's tire liner, you shouldn't need to use 'Flatless' tubes and tires.

And don't get me started on Slime's crappy puncture stopping green goo.
slime sucks but for nails and screws and thorns. these dont have tht foam feeling. the feel solid in cornering and smoother on the ride. tire feels just like it would with air. it still has air, the armor insert anyway. the insert is like a super tire liner. instead of being a 1mm thick or 2mm at best, it is 15mm of a special rubber like foam they formulated. tires are made of the same stuff. mr tuff's doesn't do anything for the bottom of a liquor bottle. i tried everything, even them other foam tires, nothing works for glass. until now i was struggling with flats ever single ride. i was running kevlar tires and two tuffy inserts, still got flats every ride. check these guys out. tannus industries. i dont care if you buy anything, i'm not plugging or affiliated with them. just though other city riders might save some cash on tires and tubes like i have. i was very skeptical about them as well, but i can say they really work. they feel just like they should. no squirrely feeling when sharp high speed cornering, and no squish feeling when you go off a curb or over a rock etc. i don't recommend foam tires on these bikes because they suck and will get you hurt. these are not like all the rest. they are like the solid tires on an old tricyle, but with give, and they lock into the rim. the armor insert just slides in and gives 15mm of protection on tread and a little on the sides with wings.

EDIT:: i didn't get a " tube replacement", i got tube armor. and the tires aren't tube replacements, they are solid tires tht have locks to hold them in regular clincher rims, just like a normal tire is held into place.

Last edited:

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
if someone could show me how to upload photos ( again, i'm not very pc worthy, but put an engine in my hands and i'll have it belting show tunes within a week), i can upload a few photos of the damage the glass does to my tires and proof these armor inserts are worth the 40 bucks each. just switched to a different rim tonight, i totally hammered the one on this bike today. 30 mph and jumping off retaining walls to concrete does a number on alloy rims. upon replacing my tire, yup after i got it all assembled and ready for another ride, i noticed a huge gash. about 5/8 an inch long or so. with only liners and ( yup it's a kevlar belted tire) and kevlar tire, it went right through. the tire armor stopped it from popping my tube. didn't even reach the tube due to the armor. also found a 3/8 inch deep and half inch wide piece of glass just hanging out in my tire. was working it's way deeper when i found it. would it have popped my tire, who knows, i found it before it did. really i could give toot less if anyone buys these, i just want people to know tht a new company ( a year old i believe) has put all those foam and other solid tires to shame and created a real airless tire and armor insert tht actually works. i am pleased with these, it's not tht flat tht bothers me, but the 15 miles i have to walk my bike home. just saving me from walking my bike home these last few weeks has made it worth every penny.