Ok guys I need your help

GoldenMotor.com

Autism-mom-4/20/15

Jul 25, 2021
Buffalo NY
OK guys I need your help I have a 80cc motorized bike it’s a street cruiser type bike it’s a peddle start and lately it’s been very hard to peddle the bike I feel like I’m peddling over 200lbs behind me like it will peddle but I have to really really push it just to move it a few feet (not going to lie it take the wind out of me trying to get it going) and now cuz I can’t peddle fast enough it won’t start and the back chain for the motor has way to much slack from the top part of the chain and sometimes will pop off the back wheel what can I do to fix this TIA
PSA I’m very new to this all as in like I know pretty much how to fix a flat tire and oil a chain like I use to do as a kid on my bikes but that’s about it so plz if u can help try try and go into very great great deals bonus if u have like diagrams and or step-by-step manual picture instructions I have had this bike for over 4 years I chained the spark plugs only so far will besides like making sure everything is all right like checking the bolts and stuff but that’s again all I have done also I attended some pics of my bike to maybe help u see what I mean

Attachments

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Sounds like the rear brake is rubbing against the tire or something. If you take the engine chain off the rear sprocket, will the wheel spin around smoothly? It looks like you have too much slack in the engine chain, you need to either remove a chain link or adjust your chain tensioner so the chain is tighter, don't make it too tight though, it should have a little slack. Also, you might want to check to make sure the clutch is adjusted and operating correctly. It's normal to feel a little drag from the engine chain while peddling but when you pull in the clutch handle it shouldn't be too difficult to peddle fast enough to start the engine.

Autism-mom-4/20/15

Jul 25, 2021
Buffalo NY
Sounds like the rear brake is rubbing against the tire or something. If you take the engine chain off the rear sprocket, will the wheel spin around smoothly? It looks like you have too much slack in the engine chain, you need to either remove a chain link or adjust your chain tensioner so the chain is tighter, don't make it too tight though, it should have a little slack. Also, you might want to check to make sure the clutch is adjusted and operating correctly. It's normal to feel a little drag from the engine chain while peddling but when you pull in the clutch handle it shouldn't be too difficult to peddle fast enough to start the engine.
Ok I will try this asap

Reactions: Denis Zen

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
Ok I will try this asap
Do you know how to adjust the clutch? There are lots of really informative vids on youtube that can walk you through it step by step. And just be careful when removing any cover plates on the motor so as not to strip the heads on the bolts or tear any gaskets. These are very common problems when working with these cheap motors.

If you need some help or moral support we are here for you!

Good luck!

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
And you might want to try graphite on your break cables if they are sticky in the cable sleeves. Take a new #2 pencil and carve the wood away so all you have is just the pencil lead and take an emory boars or middle finger nail file and file down pencil lead so that you have a pile of dust and get a bottle cap and put wd40 in the cap and thoroughly mix the graphite into the wd-40. It will only have to be about 5 or 6 drops not much. Just enough to make the graphite float or wet. Then pull the cable out slightly and get an eye dropper or coffee stirring straw and drop it down inside of the cable sleeve and work the cable back and forth until it loosens up a little bit. The graphite will help keep the inside cable sliding freely in the sleeve.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
By looking at your photos I can see that your chain tensioner has moved. You can see where its scrapped the paint away. Loosen the tensioner and slide it back into place and tighten all the bolts so the space between the brackets is even on all sides.

If its unevenly tight, even if its tight as sh+t it will have a tendency to move and you DONT want that because if it slides it will loosen the chain and if it tips it could go into the spokes causing you to wreck.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
The back wheel has come loose and its rubbing on the frame and or chain.

First make sure the rim is place evenly within the frame. Look at the bolts that hold the wheel on. Are they equally placed in the slots? Loosen the back wheel and make sure its sitting evenly in the frame. I.e. same amount of space on both sides of the tire. Make sure the peddle chain is taunt NOT real tight. Just taunt. Next loosen the bolt that holds the wheel that the chain rides on and move it up as far as it can go and tighten it down as tight as you can. Next loosen the four bolts that hold the tensioner on to the frame and slide it back towards the back sprocket until the chain is nice and taunt, just like the peddle chain. Not super tight but so it doesnt flop around and come off. Spin the wheel and make sure its not rubbing on anything and that should do it. If that happens to be a little too technical for you find one of your friends that works on bikes and ask them to look at it for you. Its an easy fix if you know what you're doing. If not it can be a little troublesome. Be patient and take your time.

Sometimes you have to adjust one side and then the other and then back and forth and back and forth it's kind of tedious but you can do it. Let me know how it goes!

Reactions: Tyler6357

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
From looking at the rub stripe around the left side of the rear wheel it looks like the rear axel has slipped and the tire is rubbing on the frame.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
And your chain tensioner bracket looks like its on backwards. See how mine is compared to yours?

Take off the bracket entirely. Take the pully wheel off. Put the solid piece that the little wheel bolts on to the inside of the frame closest to the wheel and the brackets to the outside of the frame like this... See picture #1.

Then put the little wheel back on facing the rim or spokes like this... See pic #2.

The way you have it now the little wheel Has to reach wayyy over to be under the chain making it already lopsided and prone to coming loose.

If you flip the bracket like mine you probably won't experience such a floppy chain.

Attachments

Reactions: Tyler6357