Oil issue running 212cc predator almost vertically

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Boscosz28, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Boscosz28

Boscosz28 New Member

Ok. Recently completed my first motorized bike build. Pat at Busted Knuckle Bikes did a fantastic job!! But I have a question about oiling and a possible issue. The engine is brand new.. I have run it for 30-45 minutes this weekend, and it runs great. It is a 212cc predator engine. I am having some oil, which appears to be coming from around the valve cover..dripping down the front of the engine. I know these engines are designed to sit at a 40-45 degree angle. Mine is sitting basically vertical. Trying to find out if this will cause any long term issues, or if my possible oil residue is simply because the engine was not designed to run at this angle. Picture gives a little more information..

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Boscosz28, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. Tony01

Tony01 Member

Put about 20oz and when it stops dripping measure what's in there and that's the right amount. For me it's 19oz.

Really nice looking bike. But swap that POS fork out for anything else even a rigid for now till you get a real dual crown dh or springer fork.

3. Boscosz28

Boscosz28 New Member

Great! Assuming you have the same engine in the same orientation?

And that was the only dated Fork he had available at the time.

4. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

That is one hot looking Ride. As tony01 says that fork can instantly fail without warning, even with a lightweight 2 stroke let alone a heavy 212cc 4stroke. The fork looks awesome on the bike but.... Id keep real slow and cool with the present set up. Tell us more about the build with some more picts if you find time. Again beautiful bike.
    zip

5. Tony01

Tony01 Member

See my sig 212 2spd. On a build $hit will fall apart randomly so better make sure it's not your fork. That one WILL fall apart within 100mi probably a lot less. I still run the dual crown rigid cause I haven't yet found a susp fork I can trust.

#5 Tony01, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. Boscosz28

Boscosz28 New Member

I looked over the design, and yes.. it looks like its quite frail. I will certainly take your advise.. Finding something that looks like it will fit the build of the bike (style wise) will be my issue I suppose. Any recommendations?

Little details of the bike..
    My criteria were pretty simple for this one... I wanted to be able to start the bike without a cord, and wanted it to remain as rusty looking as possible. He did a good job on both! I dont have very many more pictures during the build, but will see what I can find.. Will have some good "finished" pictures coming soon. Have just a few little quirks to work out.

EDIT: I embeded a few more pictures in the OP, including one of how I found the bike.
    Cheers!

#6 Boscosz28, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  7. Boscosz28

Boscosz28 New Member

Perfect! Ill go home and drain, refill and see what I come up with. My guess is there is probably just too much in the crankcase. And yes... Thats one part I dont want to fail. Like posted above, I want to keep the character of the bike intact. Any suggestions for something I could replace it with, and still leave it looking 'period correct'.. or close to it. :)

8. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

9. curtisfox

curtisfox Active Member

AWESOME! Bike, like the tank and all............Curt

10. TheNecromancer13

I used one similar to the one in the second link for my lifan build. It's a good, sturdy fork, and the one I got had disc brake mounting tabs.

11. gsmith003

gsmith003 New Member

Another fork possibility -
    https://monarkforks.com

Engineered for powered bikes. I'm going to try this on my build project, also a 212. Should end up with a good retro style end product using a sixthreezero in the barrel frame. That is IF I can manage to make that 212 look like something other than a lawnmower engine.

12. Potato_In_Exhaust

Damn, SON!! That's a sweet ride, tastefully done...... none of that bling bling chrome and neon light stuff.

13. MEASURE TWICE

MEASURE TWICE Active Member

My Briggs engine tilted forward about 15 degrees does not leak the from the breather hose back to the airfilter now that I RTV gooped the swivel at the breather and other connections. There is an odor after running a while that smells like oil. The exhaust does not look blue or smokey. I still think it probably is the oil fumes going back to the carb and the top of cylinder to be burned with fuel charge.

I used the fill level where it says full when engine is upright. I'll check the level at some point by removing the engine and putting it level to see where it is. Also and even better is to see the difference between how much oil is left in side the engine if at some point the smell goes away. That is fill it to full level and measure how much it takes. And how much is left when it stop smelling like burning oil. The difference is how much less is really needed, as long as it does not seem like a large percentage. So far no performance or starting issue at all with the engine even with this oil smell. Also no oil spray getting from breather connection onto my pulley and belt making it slip.