OHIO "Moped" means the same as motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
FYI, I try to stay as far away from DMV dot org as possible. Full of misleading advise and bad information. Best to stick with information posted on state government official sites then follow up with state codes or statutes. With that said I'd say 4501-23-19 is the key to Ohio finally dropping the approved list of what qualifies as a moped and allowing Motorized Bicycles to be registered same as Mopeds have been. http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-23-19v1

Anyone trying to register their motorized bicycle should reference this code or print and take with in the event you are told your bike is not on the "Approved Moped List". http://bmv.ohio.gov/links/bmv_Approved-Moped-Models.pdf

You can see that the list was revised 6/17 so there is a good chance some BMV clerks will still refer to it.

There used to be a form BMV 4509 that was used to add a moped to the list however that form is no longer in the BMV system. (see note at bottom of page 2 of this list).

Last edited:

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Yep, I agree with what you say Barnfresh. It appears to me that form bmv4510.pdf is the document that makes the owner state whether their cycle meets the state's view of what is a motorized bicycle. Either way it is positive progress, I know some folks without licenses may not like this. I like it because if you are riding with some common sense the police should be less likely to bother us.

Crazygames43

Nov 17, 2017
If you guys were like me and got ticketed for just having a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke bicycle whether it be lights license plate registration Etc. you need to study more into the law like I did and I will let you know, just send me a post and your gas bike will be legal in any state!!!

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
If you guys were like me and got ticketed for just having a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke bicycle whether it be lights license plate registration Etc. you need to study more into the law like I did and I will let you know, just send me a post and your gas bike will be legal in any state!!!

??

each state law differs.

not sure where you are nor your state -= nor your point in this post.

but my state's laws allow legal gopeds and bicycles with engines (the former for 25 mph streets/latter for 35 mph streets) - without driver licenses or insurance (nor age WRT for gopeds............for "riders" of motorized bikes, then the age is 16 (i think - not sure)..................no driver license need though. nor insurance.

Oklahoma law i refer to here.

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
One thing that was conspicuous in it's absence was the rim size restriction of 19" or larger. Chopper builders will love that. I wish they'd raise the top speed though.
Yeah, agree about speed! But, the best part as this is progress and a form of acceptance too. I like the fact that I will have registered and plated vehicle. This removes the one town or one police officer that feels these bikes are illegal.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I may have misread the tire size restriction. What I read earlier today states that the "inflated" diameter must be 19" or greater.

Since you can't inflate a rim it has to mean the tire. Now even builders of fat tire Atomic Zombie chopper bicycles can get creative here in Ohio.

Reactions: Barnfresh