Offset intake question

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 22, 2020
Hey guys. I’m installing an offset intake on my bike with the carb around the seat tube. The result is a carburetor that doesn’t sit completely level. I know usually The carburetor bowl has to be leveled.Any ideas? Thanks

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Carb should be as level as possible, with that said depending on the severity of the angle of the the engine, it may run o.k. but not it's best, the fuel in the bowl will be self leveling. Tipped too far forward Float will not function properly. The problems I have encountered are too much fuel down hill grades (long down hill grades where I ride) flooding, stalling. Also the float needle will be more likely to stick open and if you do not shut the fuel off at tank the fuel will run into the engine and fill the base. This is very bad- gotta drain it by flipping the bike upside down.
I have modified an offset intake by under cutting (not all the way thru) with a hack saw the intake before the first bend close to the flange at the cylinder end then bending down as much as possible to make closer to level. Then you gotta welder-up. Bend too much you will have clearance issue with bowl and clutch cable receiver. Go slow at it.
Here's a pic of what I did- can't see the bend or the weld but as it does show a radical engine angle yet the carb is reasonably level.
https://motorbicycling.com/media/bike-with-balance-photo-shopped.10672/
OR another solution is to purchase this forward engine mount which will give some forgiveness @ the front of the engine in the frame.
https://www.amazon.com/dolphin1986-...id=1583233382&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-19
You must remember the Seat Post tube Determines the Engine angle. Be sure that rear mount is squarely and fully secure. Good Luck to you!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020
Hey thanks for the info. Il try cutting a small wedge underneath and leveling it out and welding it up.. thanks