Octane revisited, and Two Stroke Oil

GoldenMotor.com

FZ1

Jul 31, 2016
Pennsylvania
I keep hearing, and reading even in a manual to use High Octane Fuel in the China 2-Stroke engines, yet I also read the compression is only in the 6 to 1 ballpark for most of these stock engines.

Octane links below. Would appreciate your thoughts on the subject. Thanks for checking out the thread.

Also, Have read supposedly knowledgeable people saying you must use 2 stroke oil, preferably synthetic for Modern Engines! These are modern engines, Since When? Don't believe 2 stroke oil for mixing with gasoline was available when these engines were created. Someone please tell me when they were upgraded. I just doubt it.

Links:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...ved=0ahUKEwi09Iug5IPaAhUMTt8KHafzAZ0Q9QEIMDAA

& Here:

One short thread here: https://motoredbikes.com/threads/gas-octane.47872/

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
As far as I know the only difference between high octane and low octane is its resistance to detonation when compressed. These engines tend to run really hot which makes that more likely. I use 93 octane becuase the amount of fuel they use is so small that extra 20 cents just gives me piece of mind. If I was using 20 gallons a week I'd just run 87 octane. Some people say that there engines run better or worse on low octane or high octane....kinda like the people that swear boost bottles work lol

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
They used motor oil way back before two stroke oils were invented.

The russian engines that the chinese copied were made in the 50's, I think, and that's why the manuals still say run 16:1 mixtures.

If you don't use any oil, it'll seize. Plain and simple.

I run hi octane pump gas in my bikes, but they're modded out for hi performance, and like the above post, the extra 20 cents ain't gonna kill me.

I also run maxima racing oil at 20:1, because I race it, and I like smoking out the people behind me.

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
I'd like to add that synthetic oil is better becuase it's stronger and won't thin out as much at high temperatures and high pressure so it keeps your parts lubed up and will also burn cleaner and you can generally use a leaner oil/fuel mix. I'm pretty sure they tell you to run high octane becuase at a 16:1 ratio your actually reducing the effective octane of the gas becuase there's much less actual gas vs the amount of air in the mix. Most people seem to agree on a 32:1 mix as a general good mix

Last edited:

FZ1

Jul 31, 2016
Pennsylvania
Thanks for your input guys. I will keep in mind what you all said. Oh, I didn't mean to suggest not mixing oil with gas for lubrication. Was thinking before they came up with 2 cycle oil for mixing, they used regular motor oil. I did read somewhere you could use 10W30, or 10W40 motor oil to mix with gas. I would expect adding oil to gasoline might raise the octane but don't know where to check that, off hand. Thanks again.