Now what?

GoldenMotor.com

Pappa Jim

Aug 19, 2022
Wisconsin
Hi folks! I'm new to the world of motorized bicycles. I'm legally blind so I don't drive cars, yet bikes are another matter. My dilemma is this...I bought a Tanaka QBM-23N motor recently. It's the type that has the square engine cover. Unfortunately, all the fuel lines and air vents have been taken off. All that's left on the gas tank is the primer bulb. I've seen through diagrams where this stuff "should go" yet it's a bit confusing to me. Starting at the primer bulb, I see the fuel line is supposed to go in to the fuel pump. Where does the line coming out of the pump go? And there are two nipples on the carburetor. What gets hooked up there? And if the fuel pump is no good, where can a replacement be found for it? Every place I've looked it says this part no longer available. This little engine looks fun. I wanna ride it. Any help is appreciated...

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Hi folks! I'm new to the world of motorized bicycles. I'm legally blind so I don't drive cars, yet bikes are another matter. My dilemma is this...I bought a Tanaka QBM-23N motor recently. It's the type that has the square engine cover. Unfortunately, all the fuel lines and air vents have been taken off. All that's left on the gas tank is the primer bulb. I've seen through diagrams where this stuff "should go" yet it's a bit confusing to me. Starting at the primer bulb, I see the fuel line is supposed to go in to the fuel pump. Where does the line coming out of the pump go? And there are two nipples on the carburetor. What gets hooked up there? And if the fuel pump is no good, where can a replacement be found for it? Every place I've looked it says this part no longer available. This little engine looks fun. I wanna ride it. Any help is appreciated...
Since the ON LINE Parts Diagram was of no help to you
Take your bike to a Small Engine Lawn Mower Shop as these Tanaka engines are also used on Lawn equipment.
Besides showing you how to hook up your carb lines they should be able to check your engine out for you and get it running.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Since the ON LINE Parts Diagram was of no help to you
Take your bike to a Small Engine Lawn Mower Shop as these Tanaka engines are also used on Lawn equipment.
Besides showing you how to hook up your carb lines they should be able to check your engine out for you and get it running.
What's taking something to a shop?? We're supposed to be figuring out $hit like this... Unless you're offering? Just find you the closest Tanaka dealer and set up an open account...

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I go to parts warehouse find the part # copy and paste and I come up with this... And there's a phone # to call... They might have the actual one or the one I found may work ?? I'm not sure because I don't have it in front of me... Learning how to microfiche parts from diagrams is something that will get you some options... Or cross over parts that may need some retrofit to work...

Attachments

Pappa Jim

Aug 19, 2022
Wisconsin
I'm finding very little for it... If parts warehouse doesn't have diaphragm kit for the pump or anything thing else you might want to consider another motor that's serviceable
Thanks for both your latest replies Mossy. I'll check out the info you sent. And I took some pics of the carb area on that motor and will post them soon. Thanks again...Jim

Reactions: Mossy

Pappa Jim

Aug 19, 2022
Wisconsin
Thanks for both your latest replies Mossy. I'll check out the info you sent. And I took some pics of the carb area on that motor and will post them soon. Thanks again...Jim
And further, I know they get pretty good money for these Tanaka QBM-23N motors, so selling it and buying something more "serviceable" may be my best option as a "newbie." The diagrams were great by the way. Thank you sir

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
What's taking something to a shop?? We're supposed to be figuring out $hit like this... Unless you're offering? Just find you the closest Tanaka dealer and set up an open account...
Being legally blind must be a challenge, No disrespect in his abilities
Some people just aren't mechanically inclined no matter how hard they try.
If this may be the case
Suggesting a shop is an easy solution for Pappa because these Tanaka engines can be serviced at a lawn mower shop

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
If this may be the case
Suggesting a shop is an easy solution for Pappa Jim because these Tanaka engines can be serviced at a lawn mower shop
I noticed that I was in the Marines so I don't quit unlike the coast guard... First you spoiled the thread with take it to a shop BS ...now you feeling bad about it quote my post... Pappa Jim welcome to the forum...

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
And further, I know they get pretty good money for these Tanaka QBM-23N motors, so selling it and buying something more "serviceable" may be my best option as a "newbie." The diagrams were great by the way. Thank you sir
You're welcome
These engine kits are the most bang for the buck and common to all the parts for the Happy Time china motor... The one on Amazon is the one people start out with and the most updated version of the 47mm bore... Zeda triple 40 your going to have to take it apart and debur and clean it out of Trash from the manufacturing... There's cheap upgrades to piston pin clips and the piston may be backwards but that's for everyone of them... People run them out of the box and develop problems or won't run and get dispargaged...

Attachments

Pappa Jim

Aug 19, 2022
Wisconsin
If this may be the case
Suggesting a shop is an easy solution for Pappa because these Tanaka engines can be serviced at a lawn mower shop
No disrespect taken Mr Wrench. But it5's not for lack of ability or mechanical knowledge. I pulled my 1st engine and tranny out of my dad's '48 Ford in 1959 and traded it for an old Cushman. I did it while dad was at work. He came home, saw the Ford under the tree I had used to pull the motor, got in, got out, opened the hood...I was grounded. so at 73 years old, I've had a lot of "stuff." The real problem is CLOSE YOUR EYES AND WORK ON YOUR BIKES! Not so easy, is it...thanks guys

Pappa Jim

Aug 19, 2022
Wisconsin
I noticed that I was in the Marines so I don't quit unlike the coast guard... First you spoiled the thread with take it to a shop BS ...now you feeling bad about it quote my post... Pappa Jim welcome to the forum...
Thanks Mossy! And thank you for your service. I'm a Navy Vietnam combat Vet. Yes, some of us swabbies actually shot guns!

• Love