non-freewheel vs freewheel + pull-start?

GoldenMotor.com

Fletch

Aug 8, 2018
I live in a hilly area, and when going down long, steep hills, I notice my engine over-revs, but pulling the clutch in creates too much drag to coast, so I have to continue gassing it. I have been considering getting a freewheel sprocket hub. However, in order to do that, I'd need a pull-start assembly, and probably a centrifugal clutch too. I've never had a centrifugal clutch in any of my 2-stroke builds, and have no Idea how reliable they are. I also have never had a freewheel sprocket before. I am assuming I will get better gas by not having to throttle it while going down hills - I can just idle it. However, I currently rely on my throttle for engine braking quite a lot, since I barely have any brakes at all. I don't know how much more difficult braking will be with the freewheel.
Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who has used a freewheel rear sprocket and if they think it is an upgrade worth doing or not. Thanks

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think the only way to get free wheel is with sickbike shift kit, unless you build a special wheel with left side free wheel. Shift kit would give you way more help in hilly area like you live with all the gears of a rear cluster

Centrifugal clutch will stay engaged, until you slow down to ideal speed. The shoes run by centrifugal force, stay engaged till you slow down.

I know staton inc has a bunch of free wheels left and right, but unless you are DIY will be hard to do............Curt

Fletch

Aug 8, 2018
I am talking about a rear tire hub with a freewheel axle kit, which makes both sides freewheel and removes parasitic drag.