No spark issue

GoldenMotor.com

D.Knight

Apr 18, 2017
CA
I've replaced the spark plug with an ngk BP6HS, replaced the cdi with the ngk version, and I've tried 2 magnetos. The motor is making metal to metal contact with the frame, and I've tested everything with a multimeter and everything reads out fine. The magneto is at the 1 o'clock position when the cutouts are at 12 and 6. Not sure what else to look for. :-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
well, you're testing something the wrong way unless you have two bad CDIs (which is rare, but can happen)

the only meter test that is useful is to check for about 350ohms between the blue wire of the mag and some metal part of the motor - if you do that test while everything is hooked up, you can spot a shorted kill switch or CDI that way too

another useful test is to hold plug in hand and hand against metal of motor to see if spark is there, but not visible

D.Knight

Apr 18, 2017
CA
I don't have the kill switch hooked up and it's not reading anything from Blue magneto wire to motor. But from Blue wire to the magneto itself is 317

Also, this is the 3rd cdi I've tried

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
in that case, mag is not grounded to motor - armature of mag should be grounded, use meter to find why not