Newbie needs help on how to drive

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by dolefully, Aug 21, 2008.

1. dolefully

dolefully New Member

So I just purchased two bikes from a person who modified them using the thatsdax.com 50cc two stroke kit. I drove one when I was purchasing them and once I got it to work it was fun. But I had to dismantle it a little and drain the gas to get it into my car. When I put the bike back together and put some gas and some oil in it - I can't get it to start.

What should the oil/gas ratio be?
    Where should I set the choke?
    Should the fuel line shut off arrow point to the carberator or to the gas tank?

I really just have no idea how to get these things moving - I don't know much about engines or bikes for that matter. But when I had this thing going the other day it was a blast and I had to buy it. Please help.

The bicycle itself is a schwinn with two brakes (front and rear) and the bike also has seven gears.

I understand that I'm supposed to get peddling a bit, while holding the clutch down, then I'm supposed to let out the clutch and apply some throttle. It tries to start - but it doesn't.

2. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Being a newbie myself, I had the same issue, once I re-connected the plug wire, and re-connected the ignition wires all was fine.... Just check your electrical connections, and check position of choke lever... these things have prevented me from starting... now I check them If I have a "no start" ... good luck...

3. dolefully

dolefully New Member

but where does the choke need to be set to? I have no clue about that stuff either.

4. ~macaddict~

~macaddict~ New Member

Choke position is up. I start my bike and let it warm up on just a little bit of choke on. Hope this helps.

~Mac~

5. dolefully

dolefully New Member

Well when I get peddling and I drop the clutch and apply the throttle it - the engine does make noise but it doesn't seem to engage.

6. jasonh

jasonh New Member

Give it a shot with the choke all the way up. It probably won't start, but after you do this, move it down to maybe 1/2-1/3 up and see if the bike starts. Once it's warmed up you can push it all the way down.

7. stude13

stude13 New Member

hi; i would disconnect the kill switch first. the plug wire screws into the cdi. hold it. first pull the plug set the plug against a head bolt and spin the motor by the rear wheel to see if it sparks.

8. lilhudi

lilhudi New Member

if you have all the wires in the same place
    cheack call the guy and get which whire goes into what and everything

the fuel ratio should be anywhere from a 22\1 for break in to a 30\1 for after 5 tanks

if the engine is cold hit the primer 3-4 times and put the choke half way up

the fuel cut of should be pointing down tward the carberator

i remember my first ride you have to ride it a little before it sparks and then goes

9. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

The petcock is "on" when the lever lines up with the fuel flow/line direction.

Try partial choke (3/4 up).

I would as some have advised, check for spark, and if none is found , disconnect the kill switch. They usually last five minutes before they go bad, or they never go bad. I have had 4 of 6 that were junk.