New to the scene, want to know whether 2 stroke or 4?

GoldenMotor.com

Mbiker123

Sep 28, 2018
Hello,

I am relatively new in the MB community. I had a MB a few years ago but not long enough to know a lot. So I have at most some sort of basic knowledge.

I am now considering the purchase of a new one and I have some questions, which I hope the members will be able to answer.

1) I have seen models with both a slanting top bar on which the gas tank is mounted and models where the gas tank is more level. Which one is better?

2) does a four-stroke or two-stroke engine provide more miles per tank?

3) what kind (2 or 4 stroke) handles water and rain better?

4) which starts better and easier in freezing cold weather (4 stroke or 2)?

Thanks in advance.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Welcome to the forum! I have 2 stroke bikes so I can't really answer your questions. I would say that the engine will suck the gas out of the gas tank so it don't really matter if the tank is level. What is more important is how much room you have in the middle of the frame to mount the engine, smaller frames present more challenges. My 2 stroke motorized bicycle gets about 80 miles to a gallon but my tank can only hold about 1/2 gallon. 2 stroke engines require you to mix oil with the gas before filling the tank while 4 stroke's allow you to drive up to the pump and fill them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy MBer, welcome!

1) I have seen models with both a slanting top bar on which the gas tank is mounted and models where the gas tank is more level. Which one is better?

Not a big deal and more a preference thing. As long as gas can be fed to engine, all good.

2) does a four-stroke or two-stroke engine provide more miles per tank?

Pennies either way with adding oil, it's additional expense. But think so small a difference, not a biggie.

3) what kind (2 or 4 stroke) handles water and rain better?

I would hazard to say a 4 smoke but just due to quality of connections/manufacturing.

4) which starts better and easier in freezing cold weather (4 stroke or 2)?

Tuff one but would go with 2 stroke as you have your body weight doing the work.

As a commuter, I like 4 strokes better. dependability and sound are far better. But costs more.
2 stroke china girls. Better looking and can be more easily peddled after breakdowns. (wide cranks on 4 strokes)

Just do what I do. Fill your garage with every type, spending copious amounts of money and then never decide until the show "Hoarders" comes and offers you an episode devoted to just your "obsession"

HepCJosh

Oct 18, 2018
I prefer 2 strokes, but don't let anyone tell you that theres no mods out there for 4 strokes. A 212 predator can be fitted for $450 bucks with billet flywheels, cams, valve springs, mikuni carbs, headers ect ect and come out at 15hp. youd be lucky to get 10hp on a highly modded 2 stroke with case induction and a mikuni on reeds.
but for running in the cold, you have to be sure to run it on full synthetic 5w30. sae 30 don't work under 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and 10w30 burns up when its hotter than 90.
synthetic 5w30 works in all temperature ranges up to 140 and down to -30. and 4 strokes can be fitted with kick starters, or an electric start kit for a honda gx200 can be installed, but to do that you have to use the flywheel that comes with the kit because it has a ring gear on it that the starter grabs to turn over the engine. the billet flywheel is very important for speed and safety reasons, so I would pass on electric until they make a billet fly with a ring gear.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I personally prefer 4 strokes. As for starting that depends on the engine. My Robyn Subaru 35 has always started by the 3rd pull at the very most. It almost always starts on the 1st pull. The engine is now 8 years old and still going strong. I always change the oil after 25 hours of use and clean the air filter after 10 hours of use.