New racing CDI 5 wire installation on an 80cc motor

GoldenMotor.com

Hot Rod

May 6, 2022
I recently found a five wire "new racing CDI" unit at a Amazon return Distribution Center outlet. I have looked and looked and looked and I cannot find any way to possibly hook this up to my bike which is an 80cc china doll.

Does anyone know how to wire this up?
It is a small blue aluminum box marked new racing CDI and has 5 wires there are an orange and black that are attached to a connector and then there is a red and white, white and black and black and red wire. There's also a small red LED sticking out where the wires are.

I think I have to buy the spark plug wire and whatever it is coil that is indeed the end of the spark plug wire to attach it but how do I attach it to the bike and how does it integrate into the motor?

Reactions: Rexx Shyt

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
Been there, done that. These are basically scooter CDI's, and the electrical system on them are quite different from M/B. Here are some tips I got:

Greg58 said:
About 10 years ago several of the members here including me worked on improving the ignition on our bikes, the link below is a thread on making a cdi. The problem is there's no advance and no pickup to trigger, mine ran good at high rpm but lacked on low end.

And also wrench said:
4t CDI don't work on a 2t engine
New Generation Whizzer Motorbike 138cc 4t has that type of electrical system

So then I said "Oh, okay. I think that kinda job might be above my skill level, lol. It might be best for me to stick to the professionals and let them do all the work fore me. Now I am planning on getting the CatNip High Performance Racing CDI Coil which I think is just a replica of the Super Charge CDI for 48cc 66cc 80cc sold by Gasbike. May I have your thoughts?"

So then wrench said:
The only 2t motor bicycle engine I know of that uses a stator is the Bullet Train
Yeah, the professionals already did it for you

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
So what does this all mean? Here's a simplification:
Since your average 80cc 2 cycle engine doesn't have any pickup to trigger, when the magneto generates electricity, the nonexistent trigger can't send a signal to dump that charge produced into the ignition coil. Hence, you would have no spark, making your engine incapable of starting. All in all, adding one of these CDI's would actually be worse for your engine, and you would be better off if ya just stuck with the stock one. Of course, if you could somehow effectively add a functioning pickup trigger, this would change the circumstances in a heartbeat.

Hot Rod

May 6, 2022
Thank you so much brother!

I have searched and searched and searched and found nothing on it and you finally cracked it for me thank you thank you thank you thank you.

Well at least I only wasted $3 on it.

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
Well, all is not lost. Like I said earlier, if you could somehow effectively add a functioning pickup trigger you may hit the jackpot. I'd recommend you talk to wrench, cuz as stated previously, he said:
4t CDI don't work on a 2t engine
New Generation Whizzer Motorbike 138cc 4t has that type of electrical system

and then after I was asking about the Catnip cdi, he said:
Sure the catnip is a good choice, but 2t are not in my wheel house
Whizzers are my specialty

So, if you can put 2 and 2 together, wrench specializes in Whizzer motorbikes, and some Whizzer bikes have these type of electrical systems, so he may be able to help ya out since he seems experienced in the field. And who knows, you may be able to get all the equipment that is need to wire this up for under $27, hence you would spend less than I did on my cdi/ignition coil setup. Good luck
pouce.gif
pouce.gif
pouce.gif
!

Last edited: