New member looking for advice on a new build

GoldenMotor.com

Andort

Oct 30, 2016
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to say whats up. I've built a few 80cc 2smokers before, and I'm ready to start a fresh build that I can daily to work every day (~5 miles). I'll be using this motor: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/coll...t-head-bicycle-engine-kit?variant=12150250564

The bike I've been looking at is this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Columbia-ATB-Klunker-Bike/47362875#about
I like this bike because it has a front disc brake and pad in the back (I could never fit the sprocket next to a rear rotor) and it has front suspension. But I'm really worried about fitting the motor in there with that crossbar. I would also really like to have thick tires, a cargo rack, and fenders, but I figured I could add that stuff later because I like this bike a lot.

So I'm really just looking for a second opinion to see if the motor will fit this bike before I buy it. Otherwise I'm open to other options with the features listed above, my budget is $~250. Thanks guys!!

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
It is upsetting that Walmart would claim that their Columbia bike is the same bike made by Pope manufacturing. The columbias name is owned by an importer and really has nothing to do with Westfield mass. Kinda ****ty. Everything has become Chinese junk. Well you've built a few bikes you know by now what your looking for. I've built kits on worse. It will be a tight fit. Id make a cardboard template of about the sizing of one of your other bikes. Go to Walmart and size it up. Your going to look a bit strange in Walmart doing this so you should fit right in. Lol.. You can always cut the crossbar out worst come to worst.

Tai The Guy

May 2, 2017
Sacramento, Ca
00B0B_lvwxNxBuHJS_1200x900.jpg

00a0a_5hMxXdkjSLl_1200x900.jpg

To everyone else, asking the same question, as I did. The answer is yes- just barely.
I've done the Columbia 1937 a few times& I figured this was the same frame. I was right.
Engine has to be angled& mounted just right, if u don't wanna use offset intake (or you'll have to grind the intake or air filter).
A few tidbits: I friggin HATE overhead (extra expenses), but for this bike, I did spend an extra $10 or so on a dual brake lever. I put the dual brake on the right, eliminated the front (left hand) shifter, and switched the shifter for the rear, over to the left. Made the whole thing a LOT less cluttered.
I challenge anyone else to come up with a more streamlined approach for that amount of money .bld.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tai The Guy

May 2, 2017
Sacramento, Ca
... It will be a tight fit. Id make a cardboard template of about the sizing of one of your other bikes. Go to Walmart and size it up. Your going to look a bit strange in Walmart doing this so you should fit right in. Lol.. You can always cut the crossbar out worst come to worst.
He could just bring in the whole motor/intake/carb if it was an option.
&, Cut out the crossbar?? Why wouldn't he just get another bike? Or return it to the store? The bike is online. He wouldn't be asking us if he could just measure the bike in the store.

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
That looks like an awesome choice for a bike. It has all the Goodies for a decent price.... Gears... Front Suspension... Disk brake... a Cruiser-Styled frame... No fenders to mess with.... AND... if you're thinking what I'm thinking, it looks like the tank will fit on that mid cross-bar, keeping it low and out of the way. ...? (Also shown with the long offset intake manifold.) This bike could be a lot of fun.
Columbia.jpeg