New engine mods?

GoldenMotor.com

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
I have a completely stock China chick I ordered and built from Amazon and so far all has been well! I’ve got tank and a half of 16:1 through her already mixing Maxima pro scooter oil. What I’m wondering is right now what am I able to do easily to improve this engine/system to get a little more out of it? I bought a NGK iridium BPR6HIX because I saw a few other posts saying that may improve some things a little bit but I’m not sure. As of right now the top speed maxes out at about 26mph on a flat level surface. I have yet to put the new spark plug in there so just looking for any simple mods that may improve the low end or WOT of this engine without spending a whole lot of money. Thanks!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
To improve the stock cdi ignition get a new plug wire and plug. Dunno about the plug you bought, I always went with the simple NGK B6HS, or the B7 when it's hot.

Plug wire should be a copper core, non-resistant, old timey wire you can get from a good auto parts shop for a coupla bucks a foot. You'll also need a boot and a crimp. Plug, wire, boot, and crimp should be less than 10 bucks.

Plug wire unscrews from the cdi, but they're usually glued in so you have to carefully dig it out without ruining the plastic or the screw. Not a big deal, just have patience.

That'll upgrade your spark, but won't increase any noticeable power, but it pays off in trouble-free riding, since the stock plug wire is junk, and one of the main failures when it falls apart.

Easiest way to get low end torque is a bigger rear sprocket, but that'll sacrifice top end. Meaning it'll wind out quicker, and have a slower top speed.

You'll have to get into porting, expansion chambers and carbs to get any real power out of it.

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
To improve the stock cdi ignition get a new plug wire and plug. Dunno about the plug you bought, I always went with the simple NGK B6HS, or the B7 when it's hot.

Plug wire should be a copper core, non-resistant, old timey wire you can get from a good auto parts shop for a coupla bucks a foot. You'll also need a boot and a crimp. Plug, wire, boot, and crimp should be less than 10 bucks.

Plug wire unscrews from the cdi, but they're usually glued in so you have to carefully dig it out without ruining the plastic or the screw. Not a big deal, just have patience.

That'll upgrade your spark, but won't increase any noticeable power, but it pays off in trouble-free riding, since the stock plug wire is junk, and one of the main failures when it falls apart.

Easiest way to get low end torque is a bigger rear sprocket, but that'll sacrifice top end. Meaning it'll wind out quicker, and have a slower top speed.

You'll have to get into porting, expansion chambers and carbs to get any real power out of it.
Thanks for the response! So fiddling around with it the day I put it together I realized the plug wire on my CDI just unscrews right off and when I look in there it’s just a screw that the wire screws on to. So I’m order to get a new plug wire and boot how do I know what gauge and stuff I’m looking for at an auto parts store? And doesn’t the “jacket” for the new wire need to be the same outer diameter as the old one so I can screw it back on there or am I wrong? I guess just wondering how I’ll hook up the new wire and boot once I have it. Thanks!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
It's a 7mm wire. Like I posted, the best wire is a copper core, non resistant wire. Ask the guy at the parts desk. A good store will have a roll of it and they sell it by the foot.

Another good tip is to get some heat shrink tubing that fits over the plastic piece on the cdi and the wire, to seal it up.