new build in mind

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just won a 31cc engine on ebay. It isn't running but I think I can make it work even though my last one is still doa. This is a 31cc craftsman leaf blower. If I make it work I am for sure going to do the reed valve thing if it has one. Then I am going to give the chainsaw carb a go on it.

I'm wondering what bike to put it on. I probably will wind up putting it on the test bike I almost always build on it seems. I would love to put it on the suspension bike but that bike seems to have broken the shaft on my good chainsaw engine. I don't want to do a front wheel drive bike so I probably won't change the front end on the suspension bike after all. At least not now.

Any suggestions anyone speak right up I'm listening.

mrhite65

Sep 24, 2008
KANSAS
I would be interested in seeing something like a Zipcycle. Where the engine is underneath the rider and still a friction drive.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did that with an electric motor but I'm thinking even the small weedeater would be too big to hang to the side. I don't do the jack shaft type build that would allow the drive wheel to be in line with the engine instead of hanging off it.

That would be an interesting build though. If someone had an easy way to turn the drive back inside it would be a neat build.

Wish I was smart enough to build something like this

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well now that you can weld deacon I'm sure you could come up with it. A couple small bike gears, a piece of chain, a steel rod, some bearings, and a way to mount...bob's yer uncle.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay what if?

You cut the crank holder off the bottom of a bike.. Then cut a big chunk out of the middle of it on one side only. Cut the crank so that it didnt have the pedal arms. Used the bearing and the center shaft as the drive system/ Mount the thing on the frame so that the tire went against the casing through the cutout and against the crank set inside.

you would have a complete bearings set and just need to weld a pulley on the end of the crank set center shaft on one end. And attach a pulley to the engine. Your clutch would be a third pulley that you could loosen or tighten up on demand.

I cant weld that good yet lol Instead of butchering only wood, and cameras, now I can butcher steel as well

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now that you have me thinking that way, what if you did the same thing but had it mounted on top of the rear tire like I do now. just had the drive mounted to the rear of the engine mount that I already build. It would make the bike better balanced and cut down on the vibration that kills engines.

You could mount the engine solid and hinge the drive wheel only...Lifting the drive wheel would be your clutch.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
shoes and I kicked it around and we think maybe the hug of a rear coaster brake wheel would be ideal just mount a sprocket the same size to the engine and run a chain over it. Instant drive wheel.