Needle bearings?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by SeattleMike, Apr 10, 2008.

1. SeattleMike

SeattleMike New Member

Do you guys think this looks good?:
    70cc ACME Round Head Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit - eBay (item 320236483584 end time Apr-12-08 10:16:54 PDT)
    I guess this engine kit has modified needle bearings, and a couple other mods, I don't quite understand enough to know what the benefit of these mods are. I'm looking for a new 70/80cc engine, and if this is better I might as well get it.
    When I originally bought my first engine, it was called 80cc. Is it actually NOT 80cc's? I get the impression that it is 70cc, and I think I read somewhere that they are actually 65cc or something. Whats the deal?

2. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Actually they are 67.5cc's.

3. deacon

deacon minor bike philosopher

I think all the engines come with needle bearings now. They are an improvement over the old brass inserts they used in the beginning. But I think they all have them now.

I'm not sure that tiny bit of difference in the cc's makes a huge amount of difference.

If I were looking for a new kit I would be looking at the clutch handle since it is the only real difference as far as I personally can see. I'm sure some of the sellers will point out my obvious errors in thinking. I also would not pay much more for the better handle since you can buy it after market for a few bucks.

4. Bikeguy Joe

"I think all the engines come with needle bearings now. They are an improvement over the old brass inserts they used in the beginning. But I think they all have them now."

You can still buy the "old style" bushed engines from that's dax (ebay I.D. dacscommm), there are some on there right now.

Sometimes, a bushing is better in the long run....more surface area. We'll have to see how the new engines hold up in comparison to the old style.

#4 Bikeguy Joe, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  5. paul

paul Active Member

from my understanding also the bearings will not fit the bicycle motor that has the old brass style

6. Bikeguy Joe

You are correct sir!

7. ran49

ran49 New Member

8. Bikeguy Joe

Be advised that this seller has not been the best of experiences for several folks in the past.

I'll leave it at that.

9. ran49

ran49 New Member

Bikeguy
    Thanks for the heads up.Ron