Need help with rear sprocket!

GoldenMotor.com

nmarco32

Mar 7, 2019
Hi guys,
So I tried the Chinese one that came with the engine and the chain fell off. Then I bought a hub adapter and the chain keeps coming off. The adapter is difficult because my spokes keep hitting the bolt so I can't get it straight. My spokes are somewhat bent all around from before. Should I just buy a new wheel with fewer spokes?

Reactions: Jimmy Bloodmaker

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Single most pain in the ass part of installation IMO. Getting the sprocket on the rear wheel. You should probably find another wheel either way, less spokes or not. I'd just find a rusty used wheel until you figure things out. You probably don't want to take a new one and do the same thing to it.

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
for $50 bucks in parts off amazon ( rim, hub and spokes) i built my own. my rim is freaking rock solid with heavy gauge spokes and the hub is a 6 bolt. you can find 6 bolt sprockets on amazon or ebay or a lot of sites. saves time aligning the sprocket. also you have to twist the tension to fit the chains plane of travel if you are using one. if the chain pops off, using the kit provided one is the best bet to twist the chain slightly to line it up with the sprockets plane. i just tack the tensioner on, tweak it, then weld it in it's finally place. i also use a spring loaded on tht mounts on the clutch arm cover for actual tensioning of the chain. the kit provided one is just so the chain hits the sprocket at at the right angle and clears the dropouts.

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
also, longer chains last longer. less wear from less contact with sprocket teeth while riding. ik a lot of guys shorten the chains, i keep as many as i can. i've also noticed the kit supplied chains stretch worse then a fat lady in a taffy machine. i bumped up to a motorcycle chain in size 420. it's wider and easier to align to the sprockets with the extra 1/16 of an inch to play with. i have around 2000 miles on my single piece head/jug build, 1000 miles with the 420 chain and almost no stretch. i replaced the kit chains ever 500 miles they got so bad. you may have to grind out some of the clutch arm cover on the front side to make room for the thicker chain. the 420 works way better for me than the #41 chains a lot of guys use. and the 420 chain is made to hold up to way more abuse then our little motors can put out. #41 is made for continuous use industrial equipment. 420 is made for dirt bikes and mopeds, can handle the on and off throttle blips with ease. i use rk chain, great chain for a sweet price.