Need help installing throttle grip

GoldenMotor.com

Auggievelvel

Apr 24, 2018
I am in the final step of assembljng my bike and I've reached a standstill. After watching several videos on several types of twist grips and reading a few diagrams on how to install the grips, all I can find is that I need to drill a hole in the handlebar and drive a supposed bolt through the throttle grip and the newly drilled holes to hold it in place. My problem, however, is that I don't see any place where a bolt would fit. All there is is 2 screws which tighten the Killswitch and throttle tightener around the grip.

Also, the cable seems too long to force the throttle receiver on the carb backwards. Any advice on how to add tension to the line?

Attachments

Auggievelvel

Apr 24, 2018
I am in the final step of assembljng my bike and I've reached a standstill. After watching several videos on several types of twist grips and reading a few diagrams on how to install the grips, all I can find is that I need to drill a hole in the handlebar and drive a supposed bolt through the throttle grip and the newly drilled holes to hold it in place. My problem, however, is that I don't see any place where a bolt would fit. All there is is 2 screws which tighten the Killswitch and throttle tightener around the grip.

Also, the cable seems too long to force the throttle receiver on the carb backwards. Any advice on how to add tension to the line?
Picture I forgot to add

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
OK, you've got a type of throttle grip in which they left out the little locking pin to keep it from turning on the bar - no biggie as many folks remove it anyway rather than try to drill thru handlebar. If throttle tries to twist on the bar after you tighten it, take a small piece of sand paper and fold it so sand is on outside of both sides - make it about an inch long and about 1/4 inch wide - put it under the very front, top part of the grip and when bolts are tight, it will hold solid.

Not sure what you've got for throttle cable, but the elbow part should be threaded almost all the way into the plastic of the grip, leaving just enough threads sticking out for lock nut to grab it good (it must also add some strength to the plastic grip in case bike falls on that side)

Reactions: Auggievelvel

Auggievelvel

Apr 24, 2018
OK, you've got a type of throttle grip in which they left out the little locking pin to keep it from turning on the bar - no biggie as many folks remove it anyway rather than try to drill thru handlebar. If throttle tries to twist on the bar after you tighten it, take a small piece of sand paper and fold it so sand is on outside of both sides - make it about an inch long and about 1/4 inch wide - put it under the very front, top part of the grip and when bolts are tight, it will hold solid.

Not sure what you've got for throttle cable, but the elbow part should be threaded almost all the way into the plastic of the grip, leaving just enough threads sticking out for lock nut to grab it good (it must also add some strength to the plastic grip in case bike falls on that side)
Great idea, thank you. I'll replay again if the cable is still giving me too much slack