Need advice on 4 stroke engine mount on gas tank frame

GoldenMotor.com

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
Hello everyone I dont post often here but I need some better advice outside of facebook. (( no one in the group I posted the similar question had good advice. ))

So the frame is one of those 4 stroke gas tank frames you can find on amazon. I got a 4 stroke kit to install but the motor mounts are not flush with the frame. I have tried to take off some from each side but I am running into more frustration. Is there a better motor mount I can buy that mates better to these frames or will it be alright as is?

Attachments

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Welcome to the world of modification ! Keep doing what you’re doing, only little bits at a time. File or grind one edge, fit, tweak, file a little more. Use Prussian blue paint to check for high spots or mid alignment. Trick is not to take too much off at a time.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Hello everyone I dont post often here but I need some better advice outside of facebook. (( no one in the group I posted the similar question had good advice. ))

So the frame is one of those 4 stroke gas tank frames you can find on amazon. I got a 4 stroke kit to install but the motor mounts are not flush with the frame. I have tried to take off some from each side but I am running into more frustration. Is there a better motor mount I can buy that mates better to these frames or will it be alright as is?
I ran into the same problem with mounting a Predator 212 on a beach cruiser bike that had a bigger frame. The bike was a steel frame bike that had more
room than most bikes for that engine and I ended up ordering a longer steel channel from MBRebel Bike Parts. I am assuming that the frame you are
mounting the engine on is aluminum? You don't want steel or cast iron mounts against the metal they will cut into it and even with steel it will eventually
do the same. Rubber will work for a while between the mounts and the frame but I used some old thick belt leather that between the mount points.
That has worked for over 3 years for me and the mount I used was a CNC mount. You could also use the fiberglass heat tape between the mounts just
don't go with metal-to-metal with that mount. The mount I have was only temporary until I wanted to weld a steel mounting plate into the frame for that
engine. I just never got around to doing it since I've been working with a Ebike.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I ran into the same problem with mounting a Predator 212 on a beach cruiser bike that had a bigger frame. The bike was a steel frame bike that had more
room than most bikes for that engine and I ended up ordering a longer steel channel from MBRebel Bike Parts. I am assuming that the frame you are
mounting the engine on is aluminum? You don't want steel or cast iron mounts against the metal they will cut into it and even with steel it will eventually
do the same. Rubber will work for a while between the mounts and the frame but I used some old thick belt leather that between the mount points.
That has worked for over 3 years for me and the mount I used was a CNC mount. You could also use the fiberglass heat tape between the mounts just
don't go with metal-to-metal with that mount. The mount I have was only temporary until I wanted to weld a steel mounting plate into the frame for that
engine. I just never got around to doing it since I've been working with a Ebike.
GOOD advice, they also have used small PVC pipe section between frame and mount, instead rubber.........Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
You got enough slop / gap in those frame mount blocks the EZL's leather interface would be very workable. My first thought was a high durometer urethane sheeting for a interface.
What engine are you using lucajo16?

Tom

Reactions: EZL