NC Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Alex Behan

Oct 21, 2021
New Bern, NC
So I know that their has been other posts made about the laws in NC. But they all seem outdated and I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what I need to register my bike because I know that how you register them was changed at the beginning of the year and I can’t find what the changes were. Any help would be nice.
Thanks
-Alex

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
So I know that their has been other posts made about the laws in NC. But they all seem outdated and I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what I need to register my bike because I know that how you register them was changed at the beginning of the year and I can’t find what the changes were. Any help would be nice.
Thanks
-Alex
I looked up NCDMV 2021 moped requirements and found the info right away.
Your correct NC changed their Moped Laws. (motorbicycle)

Under 50cc with a speed of no more than 30 mph has to have insurance now and a license plate. But ya don't need a title to register it.

Reactions: Alex Behan

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I looked up NCDMV 2021 moped requirements and found the info right away.
Your correct NC changed their Moped Laws. (motorbicycle)

Under 50cc with a speed of no more than 30 mph has to have insurance now and a license plate. But ya don't need a title to register it.
That would make most motorized bicycles ineligible to be registered as a moped. With the Chinese 66/100 engines they become "custom" motorcycles. Mostly that will need a title, now the question, how can or would one register a motorcycle made out of pieces and parts.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
That would make most motorized bicycles ineligible to be registered as a moped. With the Chinese 66/100 engines they become "custom" motorcycles. Mostly that will need a title, now the question, how can or would one register a motorcycle made out of pieces and parts.

Check with the DMV "custom vehicles" they can get the bike titled and make a Vin for it.