My new spring chain tensioner won't create any tension on my chain...

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
So I tried the arch chain tensioner and it didn't work so I wound up buying one of those spring tensioners that bolts to the side of the clutch arm housing. Everything is installed and lined up best as possible but despite trying all setting for spring tension there's still slack in the chain. Even tried taking another link out of my chain. Didn't help. Am I doing something wrong? I want to be rid of that dangerous stock tensioner. Please help.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I'll get a pic up. All I know is if I remove another link I defineatly won't be able to connect the master link. I have a few half links, but haven't tried them yet.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'll get a pic up. All I know is if I remove another link I defineatly won't be able to connect the master link. I have a few half links, but haven't tried them yet.
I think your saying that you won't be able to connect the master link if you have then tensioner in place. Thinking maybe shorten smallest amount like 1 link and put masterlink on with chain not on sprocket. If rear axle could be loosened temporarily and slid forward a bit then you can put chain on. Last put axle back all the way and tighten axle nuts. See maybe then tensioner works. Also taking spring off tensioner temporarily may be even easier to make slack to get chain back on sprocket. Then put spring back on.

Possibly the tensioner could be held to stretch the spring with something temporarily giving slack to put chain back on after removing a link. Obviously the spring in the picture is relacked all the way. No streching at all. It cannot give any tension to the chain that way. It has to be stretch by at least some amount to get chain tension.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Don't know that much about these things but that is my thought. I see where top and bottom chain are so close together that can't be good. Some separation once under tension and should be good.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Ok I'll try it tomorrow when I get home from work. Only other minor issue I noticed was I wish I could get just a little more clearance between the tire and the chain. Any suggestions?