My left side pedal snapped off when I was riding today

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I know it’s just a cheap cranbrook from Walmart is there an easy way to fix this or would it just be better to go to a bike shop and get a whole new crank set for it that might be a better quality? Thanks for any help.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Your pedal snapped off
If it's just the pedal, go buy some new pedals.

If ya can't get the broken threaded part of the pedal out of the crank. Drill and tap threads so ya can 5 min epoxy a small 1/4 bolt in. Then ya can get the broken piece out.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Fortunately there’s no piece stuck in the hole in the crank the whole pedal threads just stripped out in the hole and on the part that goes into the hole. I can post a pic tomorrow after work for a visual.

Reactions: wrench

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Looks like ya need a new crank.

It could be fixed, But it ain't worth the time and effort since your crank ain't special or rare.

The way it could be fixed would be to use 9/16" threaded pedal. Which would require taping the hole with the correct 9/16" tap with left handed threads. Like I said that ain't worth the trouble Just buy a new crank

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Yeah. Was planning on doing that. Are they generally expensive? Never had a pedal break before. I’m guessing any bicycle shop would sell them. Just worried if I get new ones will they hit my exhaust. Don’t have a torch etc to bend the exhaust. The ones the bike came with happened to clear.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
It's a one piece crank right?
Their very common, Measure the crank arm length to make sure you don't buy one that's too long or too short. You can find em any where on line.
But if you really wanna make sure, a bike shop can match your crank exactly.

No their not expensive But you need pedals too I'm guessing about $20 or $30 for everything
Depends on where ya shop

If ya ever need more clearance so the pedals don't hit the motor you always can buy a wide crank their very common too

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Yeah there’s a bike shop near me I’ve been to before. I’ll probably just pay them to put in a new crank and pedals. Fortunately I was only about a 15 min walk from home when it broke.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I'm guessing the wide crank set is universal? So whether you have a beach cruizer, mountain bike etc it will fit any bike? Just curious.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
3 pc cranks can be universal with bottom bracket adapter stuff

1 pc cranks are not universal. They will not fit a bottom bracket made for a 3 pc crank

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Go to a goodwill store and buy a bike with a crank set you like and have a lot of extra parts for a few bucks.