My Erector-Set Bike

GoldenMotor.com

flyinace

Jul 19, 2008
I have NO welding skills so when i set out to build a bike i decided i needed to do it entirely with angle-iron and scrap steel and bolt it all together... My creation is the following "Erector-Set" bike---

I posted a picture of my first design in a previous thread (I was looking for left handed nuts). Anyway, I have redesigned the mounts, increased the size of the nuts and bolts to 5/8" and now I think I am satisfied with my first motor bike. It runs off a Ryobi 31 CC weed eater. It can hold be at 24 MPH but it has NO horse power. Fortunately I don't need horse power since i live in FLAT FLAT FLAT Phoenix, AZ.

I created a clutch device out of a small C-clamp i had lying around so the engine can be pulled off the wheel when i don't need it or I run out of gas...The springs hold the engine against the wheel and it is nearly impossible to pull the engine away from the wheel by hand, hence I need the mechanical advantage of the C-clamp... It also allows me to easily control the tension of the friction drive against the tire.

I've ridden it to work several times, which is 6 miles each way... So far nothing has fallen off and it seems to be doing pretty good...

Attachments

flyinace

Jul 19, 2008
Peddle starting is no problem at all, especially with the mountain bike in an easy gear.

flyinace

Jul 19, 2008
Its true, in theory, i can rope start it...But I have to turn the c-clamp to lower the engine...That would be pretty difficult while riding. :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was thinking lift it pedal and then drop it lol Like one of our friction clutches. Or lift it and then ease the engine down as you pedal. It works pretty darn well and allows me to idle at stop signs.

Last edited:

flyinace

Jul 19, 2008
Deacon, do you by chance have or know where these is a good picture of the clutch you are speaking about? I tried to design something like what you are talking about but everything kept turning out too clunky...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
There is one on here other than mine that i like. It is made with the end rod from a chain link fence. If you know what that is. They are just levers that raise the engine. I use a brake lever and cable to pull it
down.

Shoes just uses cables for his....

Last edited: