My bike will idle but it won’t run without the clutch pulled.

GoldenMotor.com

Fehr1

Apr 4, 2022
It runs great with the clutch pulled but if I let it go of the clutch going less than around 20mph it just dies. If I’m going fast enough and I let it go it will stay running but bog down after 10 seconds. I know the choke isn’t the problem, I even ripped the whole air filter off for a bit to see if it made any difference. I think the problem may be the 18 tooth sprocket I’m using because my wheel had too many spikes to mount the 36 tooth one. If anyone has any suggestions please respond, I don’t have a lot of money and I’m only 16 so I want to get this right.

Paul Land

Mar 30, 2022
Sounds like bad compression or jets needs Adjustment. Low jet is for take off. Hi jet for full revs. Do compression test first, If good Adjust jets

Paul Land

Mar 30, 2022
Sounds like bad compression or jets needs Adjustment. Low jet is for take off. Hi jet for full revs. Do compression test first, If good Adjust jets
AFTER GIVING IT SOME THOUGHT CHANGING 36T FOR 16T GEAR WOULD DOUBLE YOUR SPEED. ENGINE BUILDER RATED ENGINE FOR 36T, MIGHT RUN ON 25T, BUT I DOUBT IT. PAUL.L

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
It runs great with the clutch pulled but if I let it go of the clutch going less than around 20mph it just dies. If I’m going fast enough and I let it go it will stay running but bog down after 10 seconds. I know the choke isn’t the problem, I even ripped the whole air filter off for a bit to see if it made any difference. I think the problem may be the 18 tooth sprocket I’m using because my wheel had too many spikes to mount the 36 tooth one. If anyone has any suggestions please respond, I don’t have a lot of money and I’m only 16 so I want to get this right.
Yeah, 18 tooth is asking quite a bit of these little engines unless you have done some major mods. The engine just won't pump out enough torque for 18 teeth especially when going slow, just not enough low end. I would recommend moving up to a 28 tooth sprocket at the minimum. If your wheel won't take the sprocket you might be able to use a sprocket adapter depending on what wheel and spoke count you have, maybe something like this but make sure you measure your hub to get the right size adapter:

Reactions: Greg58