Murray Monterey - First Motorized Bike Project

GoldenMotor.com

junglepig

Oct 28, 2018
Georgia
Hi folks,
I'm just introducing myself, and letting you know I'll be starting on my first bike soon.
It's a blue Murray Monterey that I think dates from the mid 60s. I've ordered an "80cc" engine kit for it.
My initial thoughts are that I'd like to make a custom tank to sit between the top frame bars. I think the generic black tank will look wrong sitting atop that obvious gas tank space.
I'd like to go for a vintage motorcycle look. I'll need to add fenders, lights, speedometer, and some sort of front brake, I think.
I'm good with motors and electrical/electronics, but not so much with fabrication.

I'd love to hear thoughts or comments from others who've motorized the Monterey.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great looking bike and welcome, Jungle.

I'd be sure to remove the front fender and add front brakes.

junglepig

Oct 28, 2018
Georgia
Since the fork has no built-in hole/boss for mounting a front brake, what's the best way to add it? Change to a newer fork that is ready to accept it, or drill it myself? I'd like to keep the original fork if possible.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
There is also the option of a disk adapter kit. If ya have a drill press, drilling won't be too difficult.

I'd do a search and see which options your best setup for or would prefer.

Reactions: junglepig

junglepig

Oct 28, 2018
Georgia
Thanks guys. A couple of notes. I think I was way wrong on the age of this bike. I now believe it's more of an early '90s Murray.
But that's OK. I like how it's turning out. Still waiting for my brakes to arrive. In the meantime I'm riding it with just the coaster brake.
I'm going to start with a rim brake up front. I'm ALWAYs reaching for a front brake that isn't there, lol.

Anyway, here is a picture of her as she stands now. My "Speedy Blue".

Reactions: indian22