Motorized Folding bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

pingapong64

Mar 5, 2022
Hello! Just joined this forum.
I own an old Raleigh 20 (or at least I think it's a Raleigh 20. Same time period and look but it doesn't say) It's a folding bike, as you could probably guess from the title of this thread. I have no clue what type of bike it would classify as so I'm putting this in general discussion.
Anyway I'm thinking of putting a little 2-stroke motor on it. Issue is it isn't shaped like other bikes clearly. I guess I could put it on the cargo section on the back or go for a front wheel sorta thing.
1646531885154.png

(Note: This isn't the bike I own. It's just here for reference I guess. It's too dark to take a photo right now so I'll take one tomorrow.
Anyway, should I even attempt to motorize this bike, or it it a lost cause, and I should just use a different bike?
Thanks!

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Are you still going to the folding feature? If your rack is like the one in the picture it is not heavy enough, otherwise it has been done before, the use to sell rack mounts, maybe do a search, or just take to a welding shop and have a heavy one made..........Curt

pingapong64

Mar 5, 2022
Are you still going to the folding feature?
Having it fold isn't a major issue for me. The thing is too heavy for me to even warrant folding. It would be nice to not make any permanent changes so I could sell the bike later if I wanted.
or just take to a welding shop and have a heavy one made
I can weld. Would you know how I'd go about making a rack?

If it isn't worth my time I have my mountain bike I could fit with a motor.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Having it fold isn't a major issue for me. The thing is too heavy for me to even warrant folding. It would be nice to not make any permanent changes so I could sell the bike later if I wanted.

I can weld. Would you know how I'd go about making a rack?

If it isn't worth my time I have my mountain bike I could fit with a motor.
Use the mountain bike.