motorized bicycle throttle

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
well i been wondering this so i figure i would ask. probably a simple answer but i am simple lol. the throttle assembly where it bolts on to the handle bars has a little nipple on it. i have always cut that off and on the first one i cut to much off and had to use rubber on the assembly to keep it from falling off the handle bars. the next couple i was more careful with and only took off a little bit. anyway just wondering how you all did this.
.bf.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I should elaborate,

The first kit I did was for a customer, he didn't do anything to the throttle handle, just attached it! of course it didn't fit! Which was good for him, because he would have had major problems with the rest of the install anyway.

I looked through the manual that came with his kit from Bike-to-moped...considering these kits usually come with nothing, the bike-to-moped instructions weren't that bad.

There was no mention of the protrusion on the throttle handle casing. I immediately figured that it was designed to fit in a hole in the handle bars so that the throttle would not be able to slip rotationally or laterally.

Jim

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Jim, you are right! At last yrs rally we were having dinner and some one out side did the "twist test" on my throttle. (why do folks do that? don't see em walking up and twisting one on a Harley) I had just bought my first BGF and used pliers to ditch the nub rather then take the time to do it right. Any way, the kill switch wire was pulled enough to dislodge and never worked again on that throttle. All connectors are good and would have to "wollar out" the plastic to fix.

Mine was metal, I use the corner of a chisel to make a hole then made it round with a nail punch. Cave manish yes, but it worked.
Dang, good thunking. next build.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim, you are right! At last yrs rally we were having dinner and some one out side did the "twist test" on my throttle. (why do folks do that? don't see em walking up and twisting one on a Harley) I had just bought my first BGF and used pliers to ditch the nub rather then take the time to do it right. Any way, the kill switch wire was pulled enough to dislodge and never worked again on that throttle. All connectors are good and would have to "wollar out" the plastic to fix.

Dang, good thunking. next build.
I'm certain that a really good aftermarket, (american version), manual for the installation of these kits would be a big help to so many people.

Jim

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you for your responses. i was thinking of drilling a hole but wasn't sure. i apreciate your responses, i think this forum is the only manual we need. has a ton of information and is also a manual you can ask questions to and it will answer you. i love it (^)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I'm certain that a really good aftermarket, (american version), manual for the installation of these kits would be a big help to so many people.

Jim
That would be an awesome service to folks new and old to this. A real "How to" I spent most of the morning working on a way to help the forum cover costs. (I came up with the #s for shirts and mugs) But a comprehensive manual could easily be compiled with all proceeds going to our host. It would help the community and support where we all enjoy. Also present available products.

Is all but already written here. Would just need some editing and order.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
well i been wondering this so i figure i would ask. probably a simple answer but i am simple lol. the throttle assembly where it bolts on to the handle bars has a little nipple on it. i have always cut that off and on the first one i cut to much off and had to use rubber on the assembly to keep it from falling off the handle bars. the next couple i was more careful with and only took off a little bit. anyway just wondering how you all did this.
.bf.
On my first throttle, I drilled a hole to accomodate the nipple, the second one didn't have one so I didn't worry about it. The second one I bought from thatsdax.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Cruiser, we must have been typing at the same time. I really do think a hard, concise copy is a good idea. One in good order and step by step for 2 and 4 strokes with options. dunno, but it is all here, just hard for new folk to decipher all at once.

I think it is worth thunking about. Then again I am the guy who wants to build a MB that floats and flys.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Any written materials that I create will be "given" to Cruiser, (the owner of this forum), a most gracious man I must add. He can use my written content in any way that he sees fit that will benefit this forum.

I have no time to contend with copyright issues, I'll produce it for the benefit of this forum, and cruiser can defend it, (copyright laws...etc.), if he chooses...otherwise the work will become common knowledge and available for others to pofit from.

Jim