Motor Question...

GoldenMotor.com

WOLF IV

Jan 13, 2009
dana point, ca.
I've Started A Build Converting My Cruiser( Collector Item) Into A Motor Bike. I've Started Installation Using A China 2 Stroke Kit. I've Re-fabed Most Of The Hardware And Had My Orig. Paint Matched For The Engine, Clutch, Covers For A Three Stage Paint Job( Ill Do). I Also Purchased A Jackshaft Kit( Well Engineered) So I Can Run My Brand-new 3 Speed Internal Hub. Ok Now ,im Having Serious Second Thoughts About The China Motor Being That It Nseems To Be A Hit Or Mis On Them, I Need Some Reliability.(from What Ive Read). So Now For My Question: I Want To Utilize My Jackshaft Kit ( Made To Transfer From Left Side To Right Utilizing Original Drive) But Need Your Expertise On Purchasing A More Reliable Motor That Is Set Up Similarly To The China 2 Strokes I.e.- Output/ Gear On Left Side And Clutch Accessible Via Cable( For Switching 3 Speed Gear) Im Thinking Of Around 4 Hp. Im A 15 Year Diesel,auto Mechanic And Fabricator/ Engineer (tig,mig)... Ect... So Im Expecting Some Fab..but Would Like To Do It Right The First Time!!!.do You Have Something I Can Start With? So, Need An Engine 2 Stroke, 4 Stroke( Too Wide) 4-5.5 Hp,gear Output Shaft Left Side, Ill Be Bump Starting It , So Pull Start Is Fine (i.e No Elec Start)- Ill Need A Clutch To Manually Use (cable) For Starting, Stopping, And M
ostly Shifting. Please Help!!!AWE MAN, DONT KNOW HOW TO POST PICS...?

Last edited:

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
don't let the hype fool you on the 2 stoke motors if broken in properly and regular maintenance they can run for years improve upon the design and making things better is half the fun there are some nice 4 stroke in frames out there and you do get what you pay for but the readily available replacement parts for the 2 strokes make them that much more fun. besides the 4 bangers don't get that motorbike sound. if you install any kit take your time and mount the engine solid and ride on.

Ride it like you stole it!

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
All the kits are easily made reliable, few are that way out of the box.

A blind pig will find a ripe acorn once in awhile though....

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah, just break them in properly and keep some spare parts and you're good to go.

Replace all the studs and other hardware with good American made stuff, replace the spark plug with a nice NGK, replace plug wire with good automotive wire, and keep a spare magneto and CDI on hand.

Not much can go wrong after that (except the ring retaining pin coming out, the rings rotating and trashing the cylinder like happened to me)

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
After I broke mine in and did a bolt check(a must everytime you ride it)...I went out and RODE it, and I don`t go too easy on them, but do know the limit...And mine is still going strong....I`m in FLA. and can ride alot...So it doesn`t sit around much....And I like to tinker with it....

WOLF IV

Jan 13, 2009
dana point, ca.
Im Going To Do All The Upgrade Before Inst... 45 Piston On Exh. Side, Port Match, Polish..... Ill Leave The Carb Alone Although The Drilling Hole Thing Sounds Good.. Oh I Also Need To See If My Skirt Is Inerfering .. If So Ill Trim It As Well.. What Kind Of Mph Should I Be Seeing? 34t , 3 Speed Hub, 26'' Wheels, Im 165lbs. I Also Bought The 9&11t- Sprockets For The Jack Kit...oh Ive Got A Tuned Pocket Bike Pipe Coming As Well. I Made An Exhaust Tip From 1'' Stainless Today And Will T/a Pipe Length Before Exp. Chamber For Torque And W/ And W/out Cilencer...if All This Is A Waste Of Time, Ill Put In A 80cc Kx Or Yz.

WOLF IV

Jan 13, 2009
dana point, ca.
After I broke mine in and did a bolt check(a must everytime you ride it)...I went out and RODE it, and I don`t go too easy on them, but do know the limit...And mine is still going strong....I`m in FLA. and can ride alot...So it doesn`t sit around much....And I like to tinker with it....
ILL BVE RIDING IT TO AND FROMWORK OFTEN!!! 10 MI. ROUND TRIP..elec.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
Any Idea How to get the drive sprocket off the shaft? I can't seem to get the bolt off the sprocket in the first place.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank's Mike Frye A.K.A. Frye Bikes

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Im Going To Do All The Upgrade Before Inst... 45 Piston On Exh. Side, Port Match, Polish..... Ill Leave The Carb Alone Although The Drilling Hole Thing Sounds Good.. Oh I Also Need To See If My Skirt Is Inerfering .. If So Ill Trim It As Well.. What Kind Of Mph Should I Be Seeing? 34t , 3 Speed Hub, 26'' Wheels, Im 165lbs. I Also Bought The 9&11t- Sprockets For The Jack Kit...oh Ive Got A Tuned Pocket Bike Pipe Coming As Well. I Made An Exhaust Tip From 1'' Stainless Today And Will T/a Pipe Length Before Exp. Chamber For Torque And W/ And W/out Cilencer...if All This Is A Waste Of Time, Ill Put In A 80cc Kx Or Yz.
I would advise against modifying your motor until after you get it on the bike and running nice. Then do the modifications one at a time so that if it doesn't run right after you mod it you will know why. I also prefer to modify the port rather than the skirt. A jug is cheap and much easier to replace than the piston. Get the motor on the bike and the bugs worked out. Then add the expansion chamber. When you get that working good move on to the next thing and have fun!

WOLF IV

Jan 13, 2009
dana point, ca.
I would advise against modifying your motor until after you get it on the bike and running nice. Then do the modifications one at a time so that if it doesn't run right after you mod it you will know why. I also prefer to modify the port rather than the skirt. A jug is cheap and much easier to replace than the piston. Get the motor on the bike and the bugs worked out. Then add the expansion chamber. When you get that working good move on to the next thing and have fun!
did all the up grades and started right up and hauls rear!!! super smooth !!!! no vibrating what so ever. super pleased at the result!!! thanx guys.

Attachments

WOLF IV

Jan 13, 2009
dana point, ca.
Yea, But As A Good Rule Its Not The Smartest To Mod An Unfamiliar Engine.. I Read (alot) Off Everyones Threads And The Rest Just Took A Little Time. And Of Corse Its On;\ly A Two Stroke After All! Couldnt Be Any Happier With The Results. It Iddles Smooth, Pretty Quiet And Runs Through Rpm Consistant..

WOLF IV

Jan 13, 2009
dana point, ca.
Very nice Wolf IV !

Could you post some close ups of
your motor and chamber mounts?
( awsome tank ! )

Bob K
WELL I ASUME YOU MEAN THE EXHAUST (CHAMBER). I ONLY HAVE ONE MOUNT ON THE EXHAUST BUT ITS SOLID! IT NEEDS PAINT STILL. ALSO THE ZIP TIE SHOWN IN THE PIC IS GONE, I WAS WORKING ON CABLE RE- ROUTING TO AVOID MY FRONT FENDER. THANX FOR THE INTEREST! LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE ASKING FOR..

Attachments

Bob K

Mar 5, 2009
Insanediego
Thank you, the pictures were very clear.

Where did you get that sweet looking chamber?

Did you indeed do some porting?

If so, did you record the dimensions?

I ask, because you seem really pleased with the results.

Bob K