Minarelli V1 race bike

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Figured it's about time I posted up some stuff about my racer.

It's a chopped up 1937 Shelby Airflow frame, that I broke as a bicycle, modified it many times racing the china class, and after giving up on that crap, cut it up to fit a 70's minarelli V1 moped motor.

The motor has a 74cc Polini kit,16mm mikuni carb, chopped up ktm 50 pipe, custom intake, and tiny cranks. It pedals, but it's so fast you don't have too.

Wheels are 24x2.5 double-walled Weinman alloy rims, 11g spokes with moped drum brakes, on maxxis hookworm tires.

Front end is off some 26" cruiser, cut down fork tubes, and a threadless headset.

Clubman bars, pro-taper pillowtop grips, Lusito 1/4 turn throttle and Dia Compe bmx levers.

Handmade cafe racer seat, and 1 quart custom tank.

Motor has about 7hp, stock clutch, and is "short track" geared at 9-42. That means it revs higher, gets on the pipe quick, and works awesome on tracks like Willow Springs.

I'll try that gearing at the Grange and Apex, which have larger straights, but I have a 10t cog I can change for more top speed if I need it. Much easier to change the motor gear than the rear sprocket.

I still don't know the top speed. Never maxed it out at Willow or the Grange, but with a radar gun at Grange it hit 55mph on the straight, but ran out of track before it ran out of power.

I could put on a 36t I have and go all Bonneville crazy on the street, but I'm not really interested, and honestly, kinda scared to hit 70+mph.

Here's a few recent pics.

Btw, this is the lamest forum for posting anything longer than two sentences on my phone, with the useless ads popping up on the bottom and messing up what I'm trying to type.
20180504_191649.jpg

20180504_191649.jpg
20180504_191453.jpg