Melted spark plug boot?

GoldenMotor.com

Lunatuck

Aug 8, 2019
Is a melting spark plug boot indicative of anything wrong with an engine? Overheating? Ive been chasing an odd issue where the bike just dies randomly as if it's running out of gas. I'm thinking the carb has some dirt in it, and gotta work on that. But, as I was looking over everything, I noticed lots of smoke and after a few minutes realized the spark plug boot was melting.

I need a new one, but do they all melt? It seemed pretty hot to the touch.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Start with the gas tank, make sure it is clean, and free of junk. Then work your way down to the carb. You can by a new plug end and wire at any auto parts store, they just screw into the mag...........Curt

Reactions: Lunatuck

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
The plug will be hot to touch. But shouldn't be hot enough to melt the boot. It could be arcing from not being pushed on all the way, but it still shouldn't melt.

Fuel flow problems shouldn't cause a boot to melt, unless you're running so lean your plug gets red hot. But you'd figure that out right away when your motor seizes.

Flow issues sound like the tanks not venting. Try loosening the gas cap and see if it keeps running.

And make sure it's not leaking fuel. If it drips onto your flaming hot plug, you're in trouble.

Reactions: ZekeNoScooter

Lunatuck

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks. I did notice that my tank had shifted and was cutting off the gas flow. I don’t think this is the whole problem, because I’m certain I would’ve noticed it as I was troubleshooting right in the same area.

I’m not sure my fuel cutoff valve is working. I find fresh gas/oil on the bottom of my carb every morning. It was still dripping when I removed it from the carb in the off position. So that probably needs replacing.

Going camping for a few days and bringing my tools. Should have some time to troubleshoot and break it in! Theres also an atv shop about 5 miles away. Wifey wants a scooter. Lol.