Maryland Moped Laws (Motorized Bicycles Apply)

GoldenMotor.com

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Here are the "rules of the road" for Marylanders...I may be the only one at the moment, but they will come.^5

Maryland Moped Laws
Moped Definition
A moped is a bicyle that meets the following requirements:

Is designed to be propelled by human power with some assistance from a motor.
Has pedals that drive the bicyle mechanically
Has two or three wheels, of which are more than 14 inches in diameter
Has a motor with a rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less, and, if the motor is an internal combustion engine,a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less.
Mopeds are also not allowed to be operated at a speed greater than 30 MPH on public roads and highways.

Motor Scooter Definition
A motor scooter is a type of non-pedaled vehicle that meets the following standards:

Has two wheels, of which one is 10 inches or more in diameter
Has a seat for the operator
Has a step-through chassis
Is equipped with an automatic transmission.
Has a motor with a rating of 2.7 brake horsepower or less, and if the motor is an internal combustion engine,with a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less.
Generally, motor scooters can achieve a speed of up to 40 MPH, but this varies by the manufacturer and model that you have. However, a motor scooter is not allowed to exceed the speed of 30 MPH on public roadways.

Scooter Definition
A scooter is a two-wheeled vehicle that has handlebars and is designed to be stood on by the operator. These devices cannot be legally operated on public roadways or sidewalks.

Moped Licensing
To operate a moped in Maryland, riders must have a valid drivers license from which ever state that they live in, or a valid Maryland moped operator's permit issued by the Maryland MVA. Failure to present the proper licenses needed will result in a fine of around $315.

Moped Traffic Laws

Moped operators are not required to wear a helmet.
Mopeds may not be operated at speed greater than 30mph
Mopeds cannot be operated on highways that have a speed limit greater than 50mph.
Where there is a bike lane paved to a smooth surface or a shoulder paved to a smooth surface, a person operating a bicycle or a motor scooter shall use the bike lane or shoulder and may not ride on the roadway, except for common traffic procedures, which include:
overtaking and passing another bicycle, motor scooter, pedestrian, or other vehicle within the bike lane or shoulder if the overtaking and passing cannot be done safely within the bike lane or shoulder
preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway
When reasonably necessary to leave the bike lane or shoulder to avoid debris or other hazardous condition
When reasonably necessary to leave the bike lane or shoulder because the bike lane or shoulder is overlaid with a right turn lane, merge lane, or other marking that breaks the continuity of the bike lane or shoulder.
Gas and electric motorized toy scooters cannot be operated on sidewalks
A person may not operate a bicycle or a motor scooter on any highway or roadway while the person is wearing any headset covering both ears

Moped and Motor Scooter Registration
All "motor vehicles" are required to be registered in Maryland, but vehicles classified as either motor scooters or mopeds are exempt from this law. So all mopeds and motor scooters do not need to be registered with tags in Maryland.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! Crazy Horse here, NOTICE ALL MARYLAND MOTORIZED BICYCLIST just wanted to say pay attention to what your local elected & Maryland State elected officials / Representatives are up to they are trying to pass a law requiring bicycles motor assisted to be tagged & insured.

Peace Crazy Horse.

MalakTheBeast

Jan 17, 2010
Brooklyn, Maryland
That's Maryland for you, try to squeeze out every penny it can from it's residents, how would the law effect one of the 66cc/80cc motors? Would they have anyway of knowing I mean is it stamped on the motor?

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Thanks for posting these laws - I've been meaning to look them up, but I hadn't done it yet (mostly because I figured Maryland had already outlawed these bikes, and I just didn't want to know).

I'm frustrated with a lot of things about Maryland - but (so far, at least) the laws regarding our motorized bicycles seem to be relatively friendly.

Malak, sounds like a 66cc engine would be above the displacement limit for a moped in this state - but you are absolutely correct in that there's no easy way to determine the displacement except for the label on your engine panels. (Yet another benefit of getting a pull-starter, if you have a 66cc - it replaces the magneto cover).

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
cop just told me here in lexington park maryland, that i cannot ride on the right side of the road unless there is a bike lane or sidewalk, he told me i should ride on the sidewalk lol, then he told me i have to have a helmet and that it is not enough to just have a maryland drivers license but that i have to have a drivers license AND a maryland moped operators permit? i dont know what to think, least i diddent get a ticket lol

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
Here's some Maryland info I dug up
ATVs and Dirt Bikes
thanks timboellner, every law and dmv/ police website i read are all saying the same thing: that that cop was compleatly wrong in what he was telling me. so iv printed some pages out and highlighted the revalent parts to carry with me, if i get stopped again ill just take a ticket and head right to court with the annotaed code of maryland traffic law book in my hand (checked out from the law library) and with the pages i printed out, cant hihglight in the book lol,i already have a lawyer on retainer (from a compleatly different incident) so i say bring it, give me a ticket. i really dont have a problem with police, just the ones that like to act as if they know the law when they dont :)

beardcaller

Dec 12, 2008
St. Mary's City, MD
i know this thread is probably dead, but aside from aspireonescs, has anybody been given a hard time by police. The law seems pretty clear that motoredbikes fit the definition of mopeds, but on a moped website they list them separately and mention that they are not allowed. are you more likely to be given a hard time if your bike looks more like a motorcycle(ie boardtracker) than if its a mtb with a gas tank on top? I guess im just nervous seeing as im putting the finishing touches on my bike and i dont want it to just sit in my garage

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I have ridden over 400 mi in Virginia, Maryland, and DC. I have never been stopped or bothered by the police in any of those. (Except for a dirty look from a VA policeman when I went through a radar trap at almost 10 mph over the 25 mph speed limit.)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Here are the "rules of the road" for Marylanders...I may be the only one at the moment, but they will come.^5

Maryland Moped Laws
Moped Definition
A moped is a bicyle that meets the following requirements:

Is designed to be propelled by human power with some assistance from a motor.
Has pedals that drive the bicyle mechanically
Has two or three wheels, of which are more than 14 inches in diameter
Has a motor with a rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less, and, if the motor is an internal combustion engine,a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less.
Mopeds are also not allowed to be operated at a speed greater than 30 MPH on public roads and highways.

Motor Scooter Definition
A motor scooter is a type of non-pedaled vehicle that meets the following standards:

Has two wheels, of which one is 10 inches or more in diameter
Has a seat for the operator
Has a step-through chassis
Is equipped with an automatic transmission.
Has a motor with a rating of 2.7 brake horsepower or less, and if the motor is an internal combustion engine,with a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less.
Generally, motor scooters can achieve a speed of up to 40 MPH, but this varies by the manufacturer and model that you have. However, a motor scooter is not allowed to exceed the speed of 30 MPH on public roadways.

Scooter Definition
A scooter is a two-wheeled vehicle that has handlebars and is designed to be stood on by the operator. These devices cannot be legally operated on public roadways or sidewalks.

Moped Licensing
To operate a moped in Maryland, riders must have a valid drivers license from which ever state that they live in, or a valid Maryland moped operator's permit issued by the Maryland MVA. Failure to present the proper licenses needed will result in a fine of around $315.

Moped Traffic Laws

Moped operators are not required to wear a helmet.
Mopeds may not be operated at speed greater than 30mph
Mopeds cannot be operated on highways that have a speed limit greater than 50mph.
Where there is a bike lane paved to a smooth surface or a shoulder paved to a smooth surface, a person operating a bicycle or a motor scooter shall use the bike lane or shoulder and may not ride on the roadway, except for common traffic procedures, which include:
overtaking and passing another bicycle, motor scooter, pedestrian, or other vehicle within the bike lane or shoulder if the overtaking and passing cannot be done safely within the bike lane or shoulder
preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway
When reasonably necessary to leave the bike lane or shoulder to avoid debris or other hazardous condition
When reasonably necessary to leave the bike lane or shoulder because the bike lane or shoulder is overlaid with a right turn lane, merge lane, or other marking that breaks the continuity of the bike lane or shoulder.
Gas and electric motorized toy scooters cannot be operated on sidewalks
A person may not operate a bicycle or a motor scooter on any highway or roadway while the person is wearing any headset covering both ears

Moped and Motor Scooter Registration
All "motor vehicles" are required to be registered in Maryland, but vehicles classified as either motor scooters or mopeds are exempt from this law. So all mopeds and motor scooters do not need to be registered with tags in Maryland.
If Texas ever makes a law for motor bicycles I hope it will be as fair as this one.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I may be spending a couple of months in MD, and would like to take my motorized bicycle along. Any changes or updates to these laws since 2008?

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Hi Guys,
So, how do you classify an Allstate scooter?
Mine has a 125 cc engine,
has a 4 speed left twisty grip shifter,
has 8" wheels,
has a step through frame.....

How do you classify my Allstate Compact 50...
Has a 58 cc engine,
has a 3 speed left foot shifter,
has a step through frame,
has 16" wheels

Attachments