Long road trip

GoldenMotor.com

weelie cool

Dec 18, 2021
Hi bikers. My dad and I are planning a 800 mile round trip road trip on our motorized bikes. I'm riding a souped up seeutek 80cc with a 36t sprocket. My dad is riding a zeda 100 with a 36 tooth sprocket. One thing we are concerned about is overheating after long hours of riding. The other concern is miles between gas stops. How would you solve these problems. Also keep in mind that we will be a little loaded down with gear. Trying to keep it light while also having enough stuff to survive. Also what extra parts would you bring for the trip.

Reactions: fasteddy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Hi bikers. My dad and I are planning a 800 mile round trip road trip on our motorized bikes. I'm riding a souped up seeutek 80cc with a 36t sprocket. My dad is riding a zeda 100 with a 36 tooth sprocket. One thing we are concerned about is overheating after long hours of riding. The other concern is miles between gas stops. How would you solve these problems. Also keep in mind that we will be a little loaded down with gear. Trying to keep it light while also having enough stuff to survive. Also what extra parts would you bring for the trip.
My way of dealing with such issues is I have a 5 quart see through gas tank, a 4 stroke engine, a triple chainring shift kit and a techometer.

As for you I suggest carrying mixed gas with you. Get a techometer. So that you know exactly what your engine is doing. A heat sensor would be a benefit.

Since you've got gear you may want to consider changing the 36t rear sprockets to a larger sprocket.

A multi speed bicycle is better than a single speed bicycle for pedal assisting. If on your techometer you can't reach max torque rpm then you'll have multiple ratios to choose from to pedal assist you up to max torque rpm to prevent engine strain.

With a single speed all you can do to pedal assist is either increase cadence (crank rpm) or stand and mesh the pedals to reach max torque rpm.

If you're going over max horse power rpm all that's needed to keep from over revving is to throttle back some.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I was just going to that also, go back to at least 40 tooth sprocket, if not you will get to much strain on drive train, Clutch and its pads. Even with 40 tooth you are going to have to pedal assists on take of and hills. That should be done all the time anyway, to help save on wear ........Curt

weelie cool

Dec 18, 2021
Thanks for all the replies. The reason I went with 36t sprockets is because I think we will get better gas mileage and cooling once we are moving at a good speed. My bike doesn't have problems with overheating and I know that even loaded down the bike has no problem carrying me. I'm mostly concerned about the Zeda 100. There aren't options for heads with better cooling on a single piece jug. My current idea is to solder on heat sink to everywhere I can get away with...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Why not take an extended ride while staying relatively close to home as a 'shake down' ride? Then, you'll know what to expect. I wouldn't bother with additional heat sinks --- I would hate to run over one of them after it falls off due to the vibration.....

Good luck with the trip!

weelie cool

Dec 18, 2021
Why not take an extended ride while staying relatively close to home as a 'shake down' ride? Then, you'll know what to expect. I wouldn't bother with additional heat sinks --- I would hate to run over one of them after it falls off due to the vibration.....

Good luck with the trip!
I'm going to do a trial run first. If no problems occur than I won't bother with any cooling precautions. Thanks it will be fun

Reactions: mapbike

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Wow 800 miles, when will this happen? I've done 70 miles In a day at my 25-28 cruising speed, I don't think my rear would stand a whole lot more. Be sure to document your trip, are you camping along the way? If so you must be in a warm environment.

weelie cool

Dec 18, 2021
Wow 800 miles, when will this happen? I've done 70 miles In a day at my 25-28 cruising speed, I don't think my rear would stand a whole lot more. Be sure to document your trip, are you camping along the way? If so you must be in a warm environment.
We are thinking that we might not do the 800 miles as it would take longer than my dad would be able to get off work. We are hoping to do 120 miles a day for like 5 days. 4 hours x 30 mph may be too ambitious but it will be fun. We are hoping to do it when I'm on spring break. Gonna get some nice seats and also build up an endurance for our soft butts before the trip. We will try not to camp too much because it will be more gear to carry. Hopefully going to plan to stay with people along the way. We want to have it be warm but not so warm that overheating is an issue. We live in California, so barring rain, almost no weather will shut us down. The route must be carefully planned. We need a route that has regular gas stops, people we can stay with, not incredibly dangerous roads, and not too many hills. Those factors will limit how much mileage we can do on the trip. We were originally planning to do 800 miles but really unlikely. I will document the trip as best I can. Many pictures and hopefully some cool videos. A possible different route is to go parallel with the ocean and than loop around back.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Plan on flats, a lot of flats. Premix some gas, find plastic bottles that are compatible with gas. As long as your bike still has the pedals, if you run out, you can pedal until you find a source of fuel' Most auto parts stores sell 2 stoke oil. a spare tire and innertube will come in handy.