Long distance travel?

GoldenMotor.com

DavidCP

Dec 28, 2017
I have been wanting to go on a long distance travel with my motorized bicycle for a while but i'm nervous as to how well HuaSheng 49cc engines handle the distance. I have taken very good care of the engine and only put maybe 60 miles in total on it so far.

The longest trip I have taken on this bike was roughly 20 miles (10 there and back) and the engine sounded happy the entire way there and back. I was pretty happy with covering ~30 MPH a significant part of the trip.

I am wanting to take a 47 mile one way trip to visit my sister in another city. Will these 4-stroke engines handle that kind of distance without stops? I plan on taking mostly backroads that cars very rarely drive on (thank goodness most car drivers are impatient and take the much faster interstate roads).

The bike has a one gallon gas tank on it so i'm not worried about running out of gas.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
First go to Google and use their map to compute time and suggested travel route using a bicycle. The time will be longer than needed but the route will be better than the automobile route. I also wouldn't worry to much about trying to keep a 30 MPH speed, slow down and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: DavidCP and Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ya should be fine. I'd worry trying that on a 2 stroke. (I've done it but carry every tool needed to build one)

I'd bring tools just in case.

TheMogollonMonster

Mar 26, 2018
White Mountian Lakes AZ
Made tons of super long trips on my ChinaGirls, but like Dan said, bring every single tool you used to build it. The best advice I can give is to make sure you have plenty of drinking water, and enjoy the adventures!

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
I would be more worried about the rest of the components than the engine itself. Bring spare tubes and a pump and tools for sure. A flat tire will stop you dead and you'll be walking. If the engine dies at least you can still pedal.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I'm sure anyone would think of this but I have spaced out during breakdowns and tried to pedal home without removing the engine chain.

I forget who but thought it clever. he carried a pair of plastic gloves in a plastic baggie. to remove and store. Really clever and took up no space.

LOL, David. Your gonna need a trailer if we help much more.

ReggieB

Jun 8, 2017
17 miles one way to work. Honda 35 CC on a Staton Friction unit. two fuel bottles one for the return trip and one for reserve.Just my experience mind you and ya all back roads. About 45 minute travel time but I ain't in a hurry. Took an hour and a half one time. BH asked me what happened, with a **** eatin grin I said I got lost (^)

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
The longest trip iv taken so far has been a 24 mile round trip with my 70cc 2 stroke. Just brought an extra tube and tools in my backpack. With a 2 2 liter tank I used maybe half at most. I always carry a little bottle of 2 stroke oil in case I have to stop for gas

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Extra oil is a great thought.

Bought one of those handy-dandy little bottles years back and it's still sitting in the garage.

Ya know. In case I ever run out of gas in the garage, snork.
=====================================================

(side note and unrelated. trying new Firefox browser. So far, it rocks)

Scol

Jan 10, 2014
Ireland
I commute to work round trip 50 miles I do it about once a week for the past few years. I had a Issue with my car and used the bike every day for about 10 days it has a standard 66cc 2 stroke fitted no problems.