Last time I rode the bike it completely broke

GoldenMotor.com

Brentbarbs

Oct 15, 2021
I was riding the bike last semester and just going down hill the chain tensioner came off and then so did my chain and let’s say it wasn’t a smooth fall. I’m trying to get it running again but safely not too sure if Im doing it right exactly. I’m assuming I need to lose some links on my chain? Or do I just need a longer spring? That’s the one that came in my kit. The chain used to not touch each other but not sure what happened. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Those spring loaded tensioners suck!!!!
When you let off the throttle, all the force goes to the lower half of the chain (pulling the tensioner down) & then the top half of the chain is left 'flopping' around at high speed causing bad problems!

The easiest solution is to install the tensioner that came in the engine kit, (& make sure it's tight to the frame)!

Reactions: joss

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
When you let off the throttle, all the force goes to the lower half of the chain (pulling the tensioner down) & then the top half of the chain is left 'flopping' around at high speed causing bad problems!

The easiest solution is to install the tensioner that came in the engine kit, (& make sure it's tight to the frame)!
I've never had any problems with a stock tensioner. As long as it's reasonably lined up it will work fine, even if it's not perfect. I never understood why people have had so much trouble with them.

Brentbarbs

Oct 15, 2021

I’m not sure if I still have it, do you have any good suggestions for one I should buy? Thanks for the input.

Testname111

May 20, 2021
I like a short chain paired with the spring tensioner to keep noise/slack of the chain hitting the plastic ones

user54508

Feb 3, 2021
I've never had any problems with a stock tensioner. As long as it's reasonably lined up it will work fine, even if it's not perfect. I never understood why people have had so much trouble with them.
I have special alignment tool for one lol! 1930's pipe fitter wrench bends those into place with ease lol! I always use stock ones as well. 4 bolt kind though then I just bend it to align where it has to be never touch it again has always worked for me anyways!

Reactions: Tyler6357