Ky Laws...

GoldenMotor.com

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I've been searching for about two hours and haven't been able to find anything about assissted bicycles anywhere in the Ky DMV site. Any suggestions about what to searc for or where else to look? Thanks.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
take a look and see how they define moped. In NC there is no class for motorbike but moped is any vehicle with two or three wheels with a motor of less than 50cc and which will do under a certain speed. My bike fits into that classification. But my electric bike has no classification since the motor has O ccs

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
That did help. I'll have to lie about the displacement for it to work though. I don't think there are any stampings on the engine that say the displacement. Other than that, I'll think I'll be okay, except I need to get a moped licsence now. I already have a motorcycle licsence though, shouldn't be too hard.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
Here is what I found at the Division of Driver Licensing - KY Motorcycle Rider Education Program web site for any other ky boys wonderin.

Moped licenses are issued in the circuit clerk's office in the Kentucky County of residence.

You must be at least 16 years old and have a permit to ride a moped in Kentucky.

A 'moped' is defined as having: "No more than two (2) brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour." KRS 189.285. If not sure about the vehicle, contact the County Clerk's office to find out if the vehicle needs to be licensed.

First time applicants for a moped license that do not have either an operator or motorcycle license must complete a driver license application. They will only be required to complete the general knowledge and vision tests---neither a skills test or permit is required. Upon successful completion of the required tests, a license can be issued. Applicants who already have any form of valid motor vehicle operator's license or permit (Class D, M or a CDL) do not have to apply for a moped license. A driver with a moped license who later requests an operator or motorcycle license must surrender the moped license after the operator or motorcycle license is obtained.

Applicants for a moped license who are under 18 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian who is willing to assume responsibility imposed by KRS 186.590 sign the application for a license. If a parent or legal guardian has already signed the application allowing the minor to drive a motorcycle or automobile, they must also sign the application for the moped.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So if you have a valid drivers license you don't need anything else to ride. That just a little bit steeper than NC. Here you don't have to pass any tests to ride out bikes just get on it with a helmet and go.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
"an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged"

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yeah one gear clutch to start off but no gears to change after is what it sounds like to me. in other words our engines.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I have been questioned by some local cops on the bike and they wouldn't know anything you don't tell them about it. All the ones I have talked to have liked them, they were just curious about it. So I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems around here. I was ridin it in Ohio and this one cop just kept passin me real slow checkin it out and then would get behind me again. He did that three times before he just spead away and waved as he went by.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
From my prospective there are cops who are patrolmen who don't waste their time on our soft of thing. then there are cops assigned to traffic control in larger towns, they might give you a good look and then go read the law in case they see you again. But the laws are ambiguous at best so he probably won't bother you either. I always say nothing is against the law unless they catch you. Sometimes not even then.