just had weird bucking bar shrinkage

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
customer has new A80 motor with maybe 1500 miles on it

came in today with bucking bar way too short to activate clutch with flower nut loose as it can go

looked closely to see how big & small bevel gears were lined up in case whole shaft had moved toward clutch side - looked right and no drag marks inside clutch cover

dug thru bucking bar box and found one about 1/16in or so longer and all was good

anyone seen that shaft move so little that it still looked right, but caused bucking bar to fail to activate clutch???

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
I've noticed how the bar becomes shorter and indented on the ball bearing end of it. Also discovered that these motors drive shafts are not all of the same diameter.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
wear happens on these, but I grease them well under the bearing, then under the bar, then I fill the cavity where cam sits, then make sure cam is not in contact with bar when clutch is released - this keeps wear to a minimum and bar and cam usually last for many years

with such a small difference making cam completely miss the bar, I probably should have seated the shaft well with big hammer before replacing bar - that might have taken up the slack

If it comes back with same problem, I'll do that first.

NOTE: for them as don't grease under bearing, if you have an old rotor handy, put the bar on it and stick it into shaft - that will pull out the bearing to put grease under it

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
wear happens on these, but I grease them well under the bearing, then under the bar, then I fill the cavity where cam sits, then make sure cam is not in contact with bar when clutch is released - this keeps wear to a minimum and bar and cam usually last for many years

with such a small difference making cam completely miss the bar, I probably should have seated the shaft well with big hammer before replacing bar - that might have taken up the slack

If it comes back with same problem, I'll do that first.

NOTE: for them as don't grease under bearing, if you have an old rotor handy, put the bar on it and stick it into shaft - that will pull out the bearing to put grease under it
Do you think your customer's clutch problem and my clutch issue ( see my OP ) are one in the same? I still haven't resolved my clutch issue, but my zeda80 is only 400-500 miles in. Could the shaft have been set incorrectly at assembly?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not sure what issue is, does clutch behave poorly? - bar will usually have a bit of dimple on end that contacts bearing - if other end begins to wear, then both more grease is needed and more slack between cam face and bar is needed

first step in adjustment is to adjust flower nut so that clutch arm is pointing close to straight back with a bit of slack before cam hits bar