Jackshaft / Gear Ratio Calculator Question

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I have a little confusion going on with the gear ratio calculator. I bought a jackshaft for the Predator 212cc and used the calculator in AGK's website to get near of what I wanted.

My goal is a final ratio around 7.300

My clutch will have 12t
JS in will be 22t

but here comes the confusion:

While clutch and JS in sprockets are #35 chain sprockets, the JS out have to be for #41 chain because I was planning to use my 44t steel sprocket for #41 chain.

Now the question: If I start the calculation with #35 t sprockets, the result cant be correct if the 2 other sprockets are for #41 sprockets right?

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/GearCalc.php

This is what i got:

12 clutch #35
22 JS in #35
11 JS out #41
44 Read sprocket #41

I have been told a 48t sprocket (#41) almost equals to a 66t sprocket (#35). So if I am not mistaken, the final ratio cant be correct unless all sprockets use the same chain size.

I would appreciate some help because I would like to order the rest parts today and I am not sure if this is correct.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
thats why i am thinking that the result isnt the same in speed
Ratios are based on the number of teeth.

It doesn't matter how big or small the the teeth are,
you will still have the same gear ratio.

Now the question: If I start the calculation with #35 t sprockets, the result cant be correct if the 2 other sprockets are for #41 sprockets right?
The results would be correct.

I have been told a 48t sprocket (#41) almost equals to a 66t sprocket (#35). So if I am not mistaken, the final ratio cant be correct unless all sprockets use the same chain size.
The sprockets are the same diameter which is irrelevant to the gear ratio.

Using #35 sprockets is a big advantage in that the sprockets are smaller
and 35 chain is stronger than 41.

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Actually its supposed to run 50mph at 6000rpm with the ratio I choose. Didnt see that video yet. This is going to be fun as **** - yes I wrote H3LL - why is that word censored? haha

What clutch is being used on that bike exactly? The Max Torque Standard?

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I decided to stick with the ones it came with with 68 spokes. Originally I wanted to buy the heavy duty rims again but they bent too all the time. I am actually really surprised how good the quality is of the bike and wheels. I think 68 spokes should be way better than 36 heavy duty. I just have to screw and/or weld the sprocket really good on the hub, but I already work on that.

I was going to buy the modified Max Torque Clutch from AGK but they dont have it right now, so today I ordered this one:

http://www.bmikarts.com/item/Hilliard-Extreme-Duty-34-Clutch-12T-35-404600-6514

BTW the bike feels great without engine already. The 3inch fat tires have an amazing feeling wow.. The whole frame is very stiff and stable compared to the Schwinn type frame I had before.

Last edited: