Internal hub axle to fat, sprocket solution

GoldenMotor.com

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Carmen Santiago bka " Electra Amsterdam features a fat assed internal rear hub.

I am having problems keeping cost down I brought a 16 GA plate and will have it welded by my co workers at my job...

The problem at hand is the hubs to fat to fit a standard sprocket 80t wheel sprocket without a car tire wheel spacer.

Anyone here ever use a drum hub sprocket for a go kart to mount on the rear axle? This would make up the difference in offsetting the engine so the motors centered as well.

Rear axle is about 3 to 4 inches wide around the plate on the opposite side.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Looks like I'll be drilling out the center a step drill bit
I'm looking at sprocket as an option with no screw holes present on eBay.

Would have to step drill out to 7/8 which is about 3-4 in bore I think I will have issues with law because I have 3HP motor but geared only to 30mph at 10t clutch x 80t rear end

What's your opinion I'm still a bicyclist but would have to use the engine sparingly to comply with law.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Depends on state. Here in CT "motor assisted cycles" can be up to 5HP. But I have built some ridiculously larger than the 50cc thing and Peace officers just smile and wave back. (OK, sometimes laughing but hey)

Honestly, when your acting right, they don't wanna bother you or make work for themselves. You're a good guy, Guy. Doubt it would ever come up even if ya happened on some one week wonder cop who was wanting to quivel. Just MHO but doubt even then they would know the menu shia, semantics of laws from the 60's or before.

But you have really peeked my interest. Be really cool if your thought works out.

Seriously, do a whole thing/thread with pictures. I think it would help lots of folks.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Depends on state. Here in CT "motor assisted cycles" can be up to 5HP. But I have built some ridiculously larger than the 50cc thing and Peace officers just smile and wave back. (OK, sometimes laughing but hey)

Honestly, when your acting right, they don't wanna bother you or make work for themselves. You're a good guy, Guy. Doubt it would ever come up even if ya happened on some one week wonder cop who was wanting to quivel. Just MHO but doubt even then they would know the menu shia, semantics of laws from the 60's or before.

But you have really peeked my interest. Be really cool if your thought works out.

Seriously, do a whole thing/thread with pictures. I think it would help lots of folks.

Her the law is unjust they qualify us as mopeds these days, which means I still can't be restricted because I'm a bicycle but won't pass as a moped.

49Cc is bare limit, but it also states for mopeds cannot have more then 2.5bhp, go faster then 30mph, and must all be licensed registered and tabbed. Says nothing about insurance required thus making the insurance company not want to accept us as insurable.

It's kind of a whole in the wall in a crawl space...

My motor is considered 79CC by most forums I've read.

But if cc is not an accurate measurement to HP what's the difference it's not like I got 900cc plowing down I-5 doing 180mph smoking a blunt.

I still have a license and by god I have the right to do 30mph as my old centurion super tour did 45mph with no motor but was a piece of junk to go up hill.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Always amazed me Guy. A 50cc can put out, thought it was 9HP but this says more; http://www.morinifrancousa.com/engines.htm

Just kinda makes me think the folks who wrote the statutes were not all that aware of the facts before writing. Now its law and we are stuck with it. All the grey, undefined.

But I would never say out loud or in public that if asked, everything I ride is under 50cc and 5HP as is legal for me. But never once have been asked other than at a watering-hole.

Think local constable terry would notice me in a bad way if I wasn't doing 40 and keeping up with traffic.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
True and
Always amazed me Guy. A 50cc can put out, thought it was 9HP but this says more; http://www.morinifrancousa.com/engines.htm

Just kinda makes me think the folks who wrote the statutes were not all that aware of the facts before writing. Now its law and we are stuck with it. All the grey, undefined.

But I would never say out loud or in public that if asked, everything I ride is under 50cc and 5HP as is legal for me. But never once have been asked other than at a watering-hole.

Think local constable terry would notice me in a bad way if I wasn't doing 40 and keeping up with traffic.

True and those 50ccs such as GY6- GY6-C(Honda), GENUINE, FORMALLY KNOWN AS PGO can get up to 8500 rpm @ 50Cc with only a piston chrome moly swap but the bore has to be dead on straight.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Didn't know that about the GY6s. Thanks.

Always kinda wondered why ya never see em converted for a MB? Kinda a perfect engine and trany. Can be had with an kickstart or electric. Ya'd have to gear it to a bike wheel but still. Seems like an awesome and inexpensive option. Even as a pusher using the sized wheel it's geared for. Seems 2me like it would rock. Parts are mass produced. Most popular small engine combo on the planit as far as I know.

Hey! wouldn't one work with what you're thinking Guy? That'd be cool!

Last edited:

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Didn't know that about the GY6s. Thanks.

Always kinda wondered why ya never see em converted for a MB? Kinda a perfect engine and trany. Can be had with an estart or electric. Ya'd have to gear it to a bike wheel but still. Seems like an awesome and inexpensive option. Even as a pusher using the sized wheel it's geared for. Seems 2me like it would rock. Parts are mass produced. Most popular small engine combo on the planit as far as I know.

Hey! wouldn't one work with what you're thinking Guy? That'd be cool!
Yes it would because the gy6 China VS the gy6c Honda has a keyed rear wheel.... the newer models have teethed rear ends.

Virtually would only need a sprocket stuck on where the rear wheel is located.

Bad part about China models is the valves and timing systems.

But bbks are cheap as well for repair parts

GY6 China can be brought whole for 399-500 with a moped frame complete while GY6 C HONDA can be had for 800 engine alone and 1500 with the ruckus body China Vs Japan difference between is China sells grey market with no manufacturing standards.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Guy, on a GY6, is the wheel truly freewheeling do ya know? Or is there some resistance?
Free wheeling please define,

It's internally a belt driven system think if you blow a belt you'll blow it first before a chain same as a car.

Timing belt Vs chain

60k vs 160k + miles...

If your already 160 lbs it will put out the exact power you want....

6 can put out enough off the line speed, but not enough on on hills vs the original Honda GY6-C

Honda used less specs on the top end but more base in the lower....

Gy6 puts only enough at the top end....

Higher wear ratio pretending to be a c by flipping the stug on the lower end.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Welded what's next?

It's 3 spot welded on both sides and shaved on edges for safetey
IMAG0119.jpg

Got it welded my hubs a little bit bigger then 2 1/2 inches...

About 2 9/16exact to 2 5/8....with end space play.

Is it a bad idea to go with a bigger center whole sprocket then the axle or does it have to be exact?

When I was working I new my Co worker was welding it all I could here is a die grinder.

Last but not least I think I should exchange my motor for a for a 1HP earlier 1960s model.
Then at 0% chance of law questioning my bike,

Sprocket will be ordered after someone here confirms the spoke to axle ratio question.

The rack will also need additional support but that's no issue.....

Will be ready by next week if the boss let's me use the dealership as a mailing address so I can just drive her home.