Inexpensive Electric motorized bicycle parts.

GoldenMotor.com

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
An inexpensive 600 watt curry motor.
Allelectronics site has a lot of stuff . motor controller,throttle chains, and belt driven stuff.
24VDC 600W MOTOR, 15T W/CLUTCH | AllElectronics.com

A very good throttle controler

#908 Twist Grip for Electric Bicycle - $29.95 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

I do not like lipos.
100 NiCd Sub C 2200mAh Batteries for PowerTools No Tabs - eBay (item 330329794886 end time Oct-09-09 10:46:15 PDT)

For this link let the buyer beware. It looks too good to be true to me.

I have no relative reference to judge this guys claims.

If this is TRUE it would kick some ass ., ERR very fast.
How to Convert an Alternator to A Motor - Page 11 - RC Groups

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have three of those motors.... My controller is from tnc. I have a 800watt 36volt on the way from tnc now for my latest rhino bike. It is 34bucks including shipping... throttles are also from tnc... i think they are about 81/2 bucks + shipping. My drive is a scooter wheel form a 350 watt scooter running the 600 watt motor at 900 watts. Zips right along.

I'm going to take a look at the batteries.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
now my math maybe all screwy but... it would take 30 batteries to get 36v with 2.2amp hours of current. at 6 batteries per 12ahs current would be 180 batteries for a 12hour 36v battery pack. My bike runs poorly at 36v it runs best at 39v and I don't know the drain rate for Nicad but it seems that on my photo batteries it was a little faster then sla but I could easily be remembering it wrong.

I would think to be safe you would want about 200 battery pack for a 12 hour run time. I would hate to solder that many batteries together I am not that good with an iron. But I think that a lith pack is soldered by hand as well.

I think other than the batteries the other components are spot on for value. The batteries I just don't know about. I do know we need a better battery than the sla. The weight power ratio sucks. The cost per lifetime of the battery probably isn't very good either. I just might try a wet cell deep charge battery next. I pull them on a trailer so it shouldn't be a big deal about the weight or the acid. I need to do research and tests on batteries when I get this bike I'm working on now finished.

Again my math may be wrong but it looks like the claim is about 45mp, that's a bit hard to believe. The way i did the math is .75 miles per minute.. or 45mph. That would out perform most of the gasoline bikes on this site. Plus 45mph on a bike is just plain scary.

Last edited:

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
An inexpensive 600 watt curry motor.
Allelectronics site has a lot of stuff . motor controller,throttle chains, and belt driven stuff.
24VDC 600W MOTOR, 15T W/CLUTCH | AllElectronics.com

A very good throttle controler

#908 Twist Grip for Electric Bicycle - $29.95 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

I do not like lipos.
100 NiCd Sub C 2200mAh Batteries for PowerTools No Tabs - eBay (item 330329794886 end time Oct-09-09 10:46:15 PDT)

For this link let the buyer beware. It looks too good to be true to me.

I have no relative reference to judge this guys claims.

If this is TRUE it would kick some ass ., ERR very fast.
How to Convert an Alternator to A Motor - Page 11 - RC Groups
I find $30+ pretty steep for a throttle. It's even more than the motor. The motor is a good price at $28 but I would find it better for me personally to go with Monster scooter parts because they sell the motors as a bundle with the controller and throttle.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Just soldering all those batteries together alone would drive me off, plus the fact that I've had no success with nicd batteries. Every Black and Decker battery pack I've had has failed on me. They are $40 each at wally world. Every time I've bought one for my cordless drill, if it sat a few months and I needed to use it, it was already dead and wouldn't charge. It's almost as cheap to buy a new drill with battery. And I've heard the lifepo batteries can up and fail at any time and if you drain them past a certain threshold, they're ruined, so I'll never invest in those. I'll just keep on using SLA until all those miracle batteries come along that they keep promising us.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have enough problems hooking three batteries together with a soldering iron.

That motor will take 36volts easily which really makes it strong. I have one 24v controller that works pretty well on 36v. I had one that worked with a smaller motor but ran like crap with this one . It is almost double the watts though. I tried a cheap 24v 500watt controller but it burned up immediately. Like I said earlier I have a 36v 800watt controller on the way now. It should do the trick.

The battery thing is the bane of my ebike existence. I really want to find a lighter battery that is as solid as a sla battery. With sla you don't need any electronic circuits to protect it. You also don't have to worry too much about it coming apart from bike vibrations. I would worry about that with the Lith phos. I would love to find a low cost deep cycle 25ah or so battery. It's the cost and the weight thing that bothers me. I roughly figure I get about half a mile per ah if I ride it like a motorbike not pedal assist. I would love to have 10 miles range with a little pad built in.

I have two battery packs now. One I use and then one on the charger. right now I have a 7ah pack and a 12ah pack. I think that when the 7ah pack give up on me, I will add a second 12ah pack so that I can use them in parallel and have a 24ah pack should I want to go somewhere other than to a neighborhood store.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A trick someone showed me on the cordless batteries when they won't take a charge. Give it one jolt on a car charger at 40 amps then stick it in the normal charger hope that helps. Sorta like using the paddles in ER..

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
The loose nicad batteries are a solution that I like.
They are installed into a sealed pvc tube ten batteries deep with a strong spring and a threaded cap . Think flashlight.
When one goes bad you don't need to replace the whole thing just find the bad cell.
Nicads will discharge at 10C Ten times normal they will last a long time in the desert heat 120 f.
Not soldered just using spring tension in a pvc tube with a threaded cap.
I am thinking of 24 ten cell tubes.

This battery is on another channel. search for an article about rewinding brushed motors. 61 pages long it goes on and on.

The Allelectronics 36 volt spring return throttle is $12.75
TWIST GRIP THROTTLE FOR ELECTRIC BIKE/SCOOTER, 36V | AllElectronics.com

The other throttle is what I consider heavy duty. it normally sells for $50.00

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
if they are using a controller the power to the throttle is 4volts or so. I don't know if there is a throttle that is just a potentiometer. There might be.

The all elec one is the same as the 8.50 one at tnc. I would buy them as an added unit to save shipping at either place. The throttle might have come from a 36v set up but they are the same on 24 or 36 as far as I know because they have only the 4v or so on them.

I like the pvc idea. I have used index cards to make battery tubes with inner tube strips for tension. Good idea though

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I was thinking of mounting 12 tubes on each side of the bicycle either low at the rear wheel, or on each side of the diamond just on top of the front chainring.
Your inner tube idea may be easier than the springs.
Slit the side of the tube 1 inch on each side to enable the inner tube to really grab the batteries.

The pipe would be longer than ten batteries , I am thinking a wooden plug , then a penny soldered to a 10 gage wire then the batteries then another penny soldered to a ten gage wire then another wooden plug held under tension buy an old inner tube. This assembly is stabilized by being inside a tube.
This would give me a nice range.

The tubes I have described will produce 12 volts per tube with ten 1.2 volt nicad batteries..

The tubes can be longer, requiring more batteries per tube , for higher voltages per tube.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If i were going to do it, I would solder a wire to the positive end of one battery and the negative end of another and just ill the space in between with however many batteries I wanted.you could cut a grove down the side of the pipe so that the wire would slide down the pipe with the tension of either the spring or the tube which ever worked best.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I were going to buy an ebike....

I think I would by the wally-mart ebike with the 250 watt motor then get a tnc 400 watt motor to put on it and sell the 250 watt on ebay. then I would rig the thing to accept 36v and sell the stock battery holder on ebay as well.

Im not sure how cheap that would be but it would be a heck of a ride for sure

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Which wallmart bike are you thinking about the twelve hundred dollar one or the three hundred and fifty dollar one?

I will say a wally world toy electric bicycle sell for $350.00 or more .
You said it your self replacing both the stock toy motor and toy battery with something with more speed and range .
The ones I have seen can only go around the block no kidding.

They ride off confidently into the great urban wilderness that is Bull head city. and return hours later suffering from dehydration and heat stroke.
The owners of these things all try to return them.
The local wallyworld then sells them again until they stick.

I have had people ask me to fix it for them.
I tell them its not broken.
They want it to run like a quiet happytime.
I have a neighbor offering to barter for a bigger battery motor setup..
I told him to buy one .
This is only my opinion. A homemade reinforced steel frame .
With front suspension, and a center( diamond or , in front of the crank) mounted battery , on 24 or a 26 bike . To use inexpensive parts.

I have spent pennies on a home made recumbent.
I did not like it.
I like a motorized bicycle that I ride up right.

I have tried to use 700 size bicycles. the parts are expensive here.
Because of the bad economy all the inexpensive adult sized bicycles are really expensive now.
What used to sell for five dollars, now goes for one hundred and twenty five dollars.
I have switched to 24 inch bicycles the parts like wheels , and full suspension frames are cheap.
I just fit in a 24 inch bike with both pedals modified.
I could get a really good start on a decently sized battery for $350.00 .
For $1,200.00 The whole thing with a sixty mile or more range no pedaling needed.

Last edited:

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I see some people using engine starter motors on their bikes. Those are pretty cheap on ebay too...do they work well?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I don't buy motorized bikes because the cheap ones are still too expensive and would still need modifications. The Rhino I build is under a hundred and a half and with the modifications runs plenty fast for me. The problem I have is with batteries... They do not have the range for most people. For me a 12ah setup is fine. The most I ever ride my bike is about five miles. Some of that is downhill with no battery drain at all. I have a 7ah set that I use to ride to the park and to the shopping center a mile away.

I would really like to have a twenty mile range with a two hour charge. Not that I would ever need it. Ten miles would most likely be all I would ever use. That is if I couldn't get my wife to drive me across town to the automobile fastener store. That would be about a 25ah battery setup. I pull them on a trailer so the weight is a concern but not as much as if I had them on the frame.

I would use the 24inch frame in a minute if my balance was better. I need to be absolutely flat footed when I swing over the bike. Only a 20" will do that for me. The bike is hard to lean with a trailer attached.

I am getting that wild hair again to build a bike with pedals welded in place and only a motor to run it. when I was building the pushers, I found that I could weld a #25sprocket to the sprocket of a bike without any problems at all. I have two of them laying around as a matter of fact. They are 16" wheels. I think I might just put something together and see what happens. 900 watts direct drive should hum with a 16" or 20" wheel. I live in a pretty hilly spot so the drive with no pedals might not be a good idea but till I try I won't know.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Deacon I have used front wheel drive for the pedals. An easy out.
The rear wheel is the highest part of my recumbents.
One with a 20 inch rear wheel powered by the engine, and a 16 inch front wheel powered by me.
The other with a 26 inch wheel powered by the engine, and a 20 inch wheel powered by me.
The highest part of the bike is the wheel.
I know just what you are saying about wanting to be stable when mounting the bike. or stopped.
On the shopping machine, I carry about 100 pounds of groceries in baskets.
I have tipped over. My foot slipped on some pea gravel at a light.
You can weld make the bike the way you want it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I can't weld very well lol..

I put the wheel from one of my pushers in the front fork this afternoon. I have that motor mount that hangs it from the axle and it is fitting pretty well. I just need to make a chain now and switch the forks on the motor to the one on the bike I was going to make into a second friction drive. I will give it a shot as a front wheel chain drive.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Buddy of mine has the wallyworld ebikes. Rode it to work all the time until freewheel sprocket broke (I mean literally broke in two) and he can't find a replacement anywhere. Says you used to be able to buy individual parts online from the bike manufacturer but now they only sell the entire components.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Another good reason to build your own...

Take a look for my new build I might have hit on the ideal chain drive bike.