Indiana's possible new motor bicycle laws

GoldenMotor.com

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Yeah, so basically its going to be harder to keep my MB on the road than my 1,000cc motorcycle.

Way to screw the pooch, Indiana.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Here is the LATEST straight from the mouths of BMV... DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

I went in today to ask them about the Super Cub and the HF 79cc Huffy bicycle. They answered all my questions on the Super Cub and told me to call 888-692-6841 for questions they could not answer about the bicycle.

This number is customer service for BMV. Here is what they said...

1. The bicycle has an engine which is over 50cc and less than 5 brake HP
(Remember, this is also the case on 150cc and 250cc scooters)

2. You will be required to have a valid motorcycle license or a valid operators license with a MDC-A endorsement (written test)

3. Proof of ownership. I asked them how this would be accomplished and they said that as long as the vehicle value was under $5,000 you could do a ownership affidavit. Forms can be found here http://www.in.gov/bmv/2957.htm

4. Can ride passengers if you have a passenger seat (just like a scooter)

5. Have to provide proof of insurance (just like a scooter)

So, they are pushing the motorized bicycle into the same class as those scooters with over 50cc engines.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
I wonder if they will accept a bicycle serial number as a vin number on the ownership affidavit, also keep the engine size at 49cc and you wont need a special license or insurance.. this is a freakin mess I knew we were getting screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
I agree with Glen - the whole reason for owning a motorassisted transport is to save on paperwork/insurance costs (I have a scooter - not a bike - but same type of transport (low power low speed vehicle)).

17.50 a year registration + some tax. for moped same as a motorcycle but no title or plate fee.
17 bucks is 17 bucks..............get nickeled and dimed enough and it adds up to a fortune!

by the way you need insurance anyway

Why do I need insurance!!???

Do Bicyclists now need insurance? they regualry travel 20-30 mph!

I personally alsway hated pedeling - but I love to walk and walk about 40 miles a week.

Shall I need to start looking for Walking Insurance - you know "just in case somebody gets a booboo?

- I can buy a 50cc scooter for 600 bucks and then another 50 for registration (a year) and 100 for insurance (a year) to go 35 mph or less.

or I can max out at 20 mph on my gas 49cc motorized scooter (which costs 460 bucks) no registration, no insurance no driver license (no age requirement either).

in Three yrs that 150 buck a yr for keeping the Moped legal pays for the Motorized Scooter!

what if you hit some one that walks in front of you, do you have an extra $100,000.00 in your pocket for there doctor bills???
I don't plan on hitting anyone - do cyclists everytime the start peddeling?

lol.

**** I had a cyclist pass me at an intersection today! I stopped at the stop sign and he just blew right through it going 20 mph!!!!

Last edited:

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Just to clarify - I live in Oklahoma where anything under 80cc (including Quadracycles) are legal (must have pedels though) with top speed of 30 mph - but cannot ride on roads posted over 35. no reg no insurance no tag - bust be 16 or older I think.

My motorized scooter is in a Sub-class of the above. 35cc max engine size, 3 wheels or less, 25 mph maximum design speed and cannot drive on roads posted above 25 mph. Do not need pedels of course, no reg no tag no insurance and no age requirements.

Both slow moving vehicles classes above require the usual lights/mirrors/speedmeter/horn and a windscreen (or ome must wear goggle if there is no winscreen) - I have a motorcycle windscreen on my scooter "flea hopper" - posted a pict of her here somewhere.

and finally - local city councils have the authority to null both of the above legal vehicles if they so choose to in their city. in many towns in Oklahoma the above bikes are not legal on the street.

--BTW sorry to hear about Indiana ;-(......we need more not less States friendly to us!

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
T minus 4 day and counting.
have not seen any scooters with licenses plates yet.

talked to a cop about the new plate law for scooters. he is chomping at the bit to start " pull these low life's over and search them for meth and pot and see if there drinking." his words.

Don P

56cc

Jun 29, 2013
midwest
T minus 4 day and counting.
have not seen any scooters with licenses plates yet.

talked to a cop about the new plate law for scooters. he is chomping at the bit to start " pull these low life's over and search them for meth and pot and see if there drinking." his words.

Don P
Yea isn't it great they have a new "tool" to harass with. However from what I've witnessed in the past, it'll take at least three police cruisers to pull a motorized bike over.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
Don I thought you were all for this new law.. Remember your first post. You started this thread.. I thought you would be the first one to have a shiny new plate..

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Don I thought you were all for this new law.. Remember your first post. You started this thread.. I thought you would be the first one to have a shiny new plate..

I am, but i don't have a motor bike anymore sold it got to build one this spring.

one thing that got better is now we can run the mini choppers without doing a full motorcycle license . i am looking for one or frame. i have a 90cc Honda engine that can run in class A just need a frame. 4 speed lol Voooooooroooooomaaaaaa

don

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
51.85 cents to get a class b endorsement and a plate what BS!!! IT WILL BE MORE FOR GAS BIKES.. I NEED A POLICE INSPECTION!! Will be plating the Schwinn, the JC Higgens I cant find any numbers on the frame will look better but have to do an engine swap to keep it at 49ccs LOL..theres a lot of hoops for a motor driven cycle.. not to bad if you have a certificate of origin.. affidavit time if you want to keep riding your bike.. The plate I got today was for a scooter..

GLENNBO

Attachments

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Glennbo, this is a mess. Looks like they are asking you to apply for a "manufactured VIN number" which they will stamp in the frame AFTER you bring your bike to their location since it has no identification numbers.

How are you going to get around putting a 49cc engine on the bike? They don't know the difference between cubic centimeters and cubic inches.

They just don't understand motor driven bicycles and how they don't need to fit in this license plating scenario.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
youll be class a if under 5 hp how you prove that I have no idea hopefully a certificate of origin or title, anything higher your a motorcycle. class a need plates, insurance.. and a drivers license.. if it don't say 5 hp on your title or CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN ITS AFFIDAVIT TIME

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I have all that..coo etc...so what class is it? They're rated around 3 HP or under

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
There is a chance if you have a title or a certificate of origin that the state will have the hp rating in their data base