in the market for a new 66cc motor.

GoldenMotor.com

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
i need a new motor a 66cc but don't want another 2 month hassle with a seller and still be holding the bag..i would love to hear from who and where you all got your motor so i can make a choice i just want to order a whole kit again so ill have some spare parts like tank and cables and such. my last kit came assembled think its another kind of ripp off to charge for something that comes complete in box like my old one no assembly needed.

Reactions: indian22

Nilson

Oct 18, 2019
Mobile, AL
I have had great service out of umotobikes (d o t c o m) -- built my bike from him, and he was quick to answer any questions, etc.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thatsdax or bicycleenginges., good service from both......Curt
I agree Curtis and there are others out there as well that can add a little extra performance for some more dollars. it all depends on what you are looking for and if that's lowest price beware!

Rick C.

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
lots of buying options and the bottom end buck savers in my experience have not been good.. everybody is going to have their favorite my last 3 kits came from BMW 2 zeda's i usually refer to as triple fortys out of 4 zeda's total only one had a zeda stamped rod still i like the triple forty and i also bought 1 runwell pk80 and i like it as well. the runwell has larger crank counter weight than the triple forty, the triple fortys seem to rap up quicker but the runwell seems to be a bit smoother. those kits are in the 150.00$ range and ive been happy with the quality of both and the rest of the kit has better stuff as well usually. better grips the better long handle clutch lever the short 4 bolt tensioner hd chain though the runwell has a shorter rod and the low hole piston but they are both 69cc 40mm stroke.they both make good power out of the box
bMW currently has the (zeda) triple forty for 135$ and 10$ flat rate shipping and for my money its what i would buy..just my 2ccents worth....kelly

DRK

Apr 1, 2017
Illinois
Hey kelly, I'm in the market for another Zeda triple forty and am trying to decide which vender to buy from. I was concedering BMW, but now I'm not so sure. Did you happen to ask him why the rod wasn't stamped ZL40MM. Thats what it shows in their advertisement. I wouldn't be very happy about getting one without the ZL40MM rod. Thanks

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
the last triple forty (zeda) i got from matt had a zl40 rod. if there is one thing you can depend on with theses engines and kits is you cant depend on anything, the stuff coming out of china is in a constant state of flux. The last kit i actually bought was a pre-order sale from zeda motorsports and when i got it that engine it has a zeda80 stamped rod, probably overall the best engine ive ever bought left it stock its on my daily driver. overall ive bought 7 or 8 now and ive been disappointed twice but those were bargain basement you get what you pay for. The triple forty is my favorite engine they are usually ok balanced and generally make good power out of the box Ive seen just over 40mph with a 41t sproket on a 26inch frame but im light it only has to haul 132lbs lol. A couple things i expect i dont want to see a zeda fully assembled it shouldnt be the top end should be loose parts, i expect a decent zeda kit to have some of the better parts for the rest of it. If there are doubts id email matt ay BMW and ask him he is usually responsive thats something ive liked dealing with a small company and ive been happy but i am starting to hear some other things. keep us up to date what you order where and what you get i hope you get some good stuff....kelly

Reactions: DRK and indian22

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
I've seen that curt and looked at it and its not what i bought. i bought 1 runwell but that engine wasnt a standard kit it was a custom ported engine but givin the look of that other its not something i'll be recommending.. Its getting difficult to know what your going to get where, on a very limited budget ive been happy with the triple forty's havent tried a Dax lil pricey i wish they provided more information im not opposed to spending a little more if the value is there, no experience with grubee kits start at 200 and up. my first 2 kits were ebay and that was a mistake lol. I'm planning my next build now given budget and experience i'll probably buy a zeda I'd sure like to get another true zeda with the zeda stamped rod that engine has been mistreated and neglected left out in the cold and started right up yesterday ;) It's getting so im leary to recommend anything i dont want to see people have these bad experiences and taint the hobby i hope i can be helpful at times but the more i learn the less i know...kelly

Reactions: FOG and indian22

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
Zeda motorsports were out of stock but right now have limited stock zeda80s 129 and shipping to here 3.50..ported zeda80 196 same shipping and it looks good on an engine dyno results peak hp 3.9 on a stock carb. zeda 100 big bores 146. What few things ive purchased from zeda motor sports have been a good experience... kelly...addendum those are full kits

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
the more i learn the less i know...kelly So true, it gets confusing, so many variations of them and what people say. Makes me glad i am not a fan of these or prolly have hole bunch of dis-carted ones in the trash, but not all bad. I am just stuck on my old Briggs for power, as i am a craftsman and can make them work. The one i am working on now has a old Lauson motor going in it.......Curt

Reactions: FOG and indian22

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
the more i learn the less i know...kelly So true, it gets confusing, so many variations of them and what people say. Makes me glad i am not a fan of these or prolly have hole bunch of dis-carted ones in the trash, but not all bad. I am just stuck on my old Briggs for power, as i am a craftsman and can make them work. The one i am working on now has a old Lauson motor going in it.......Curt
that motor is cool and much better looking than most 4strokes ive seen.. my first engine experience ever was 6hp briggs as a young girl (15) i took a night course at the local high school to rebuild it for a old tote-goat my uncle gave me.. ive always loved to tinker :) i started working very young in a family owned upholstery shop doing cars and boats and such picked up a lot of skills in fiberglass, painting,welding i hope to acquire some tools to do some fab stuff a half decent wire feed and i could make tools too, as is i have basic hand tools a dremel and a grinder a drill and do whatever i can with what ive got :) ...kelly

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Wire feed make sure it is gas compatible, little more money but so mush nicer to weld and welds come out much nicer. Took me a better part of 60 years to get all i have. LOL sounds like i married the wrong women, you are talented, but much younger also. I have a lot of parts completed but no frame yet. Front fork done and working on rear chain stays, and suspension. Hopefully get more progress done this winter.................Curt

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
Wire feed make sure it is gas compatible, little more money but so mush nicer to weld and welds come out much nicer. Took me a better part of 60 years to get all i have. LOL sounds like i married the wrong women, you are talented, but much younger also. I have a lot of parts completed but no frame yet. Front fork done and working on rear chain stays, and suspension. Hopefully get more progress done this winter.................Curt
married wrong lol.. doubt i can go gas right away hopefully an upgradeable flux core ..ive used gas units not flux core but ive seen pics of the welds take some clean up..I've decided my next project givin what i have to work with im going to do another OCC i have the bike.. ive gave a lot of thought and some study im going to soft tail it using the pivot from a steel full suspension BMX then 2 of the better BMX shocks.. cut the seat stay loop from the top tube chop the top tube up to meet the seat tube then lay in a shock along either side of the top tube back to the seat stay loop. have to add support from the chain stays to the seat stays to keep that section rigid. ive looked it over best i can without cutting it yet and i think the geometry will work. obviously going to need some welding but i havent seen it done yet and want to. ive got a plan to use the stock triple tree forks and a BMX front suspension fork setup sort of like a springer. it's just the welding and when the local shop sees me coming they order lunch for the next week lol. anyway i want to do more than just bolt a motor on a bike.... kelly.

Reactions: indian22 and FOG

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
married wrong lol.. doubt i can go gas right away hopefully an upgradeable flux core ..ive used gas units not flux core but ive seen pics of the welds take some clean up..I've decided my next project givin what i have to work with im going to do another OCC i have the bike.. ive gave a lot of thought and some study im going to soft tail it using the pivot from a steel full suspension BMX then 2 of the better BMX shocks.. cut the seat stay loop from the top tube chop the top tube up to meet the seat tube then lay in a shock along either side of the top tube back to the seat stay loop. have to add support from the chain stays to the seat stays to keep that section rigid. ive looked it over best i can without cutting it yet and i think the geometry will work. obviously going to need some welding but i havent seen it done yet and want to. ive got a plan to use the stock triple tree forks and a BMX front suspension fork setup sort of like a springer. it's just the welding and when the local shop sees me coming they order lunch for the next week lol. anyway i want to do more than just bolt a motor on a bike.... kelly.
Just remember the pivot need to be close to the driven sprocket to eliminate chain slack during travel. I like the idea, should be fun build. I started to build a special saw to split snowmobile springs last year, and when done it was backwards, so let it set. But now have it reversed so it wont pull the metal into the blade and jam it. Doing a 1913 Jefferson motorcycle suspension, and now that it is turning cold outside, will be in the shop more, and back to it..........Curt

Front

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
Just remember the pivot need to be close to the driven sprocket to eliminate chain slack during travel. I like the idea, should be fun build. I started to build a special saw to split snowmobile springs last year, and when done it was backwards, so let it set. But now have it reversed so it wont pull the metal into the blade and jam it. Doing a 1913 Jefferson motorcycle suspension, and now that it is turning cold outside, will be in the shop more, and back to it..........Curt

Front
thats some cool leaf suspension ive thought about leafs a little bit but ive never seen anything like that rear leaf setup that is really cool i like it..Ive thought about the chain tension and thinking one of the motor mounted spring units..i have one on my daily rider the bike is a full suspension but the rear is a poor excuse for suspension and has about zero travel and especially at my weight . ive had this soft tail an OCC in mind for awhile it took me a bit to come up with a workable idea that wouldnt just be shocks on a seat, used a suspension post on the pink OCC but i want something frame and a true suspension and the ideas are subject to change once the cutting starts lol....
Picture 25.jpg

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep now if i can get mine to look and work like the pictures! Did you adjust the shock full up, but ya not meant for motors, not many motor bike builds have full suspension. So would be Kool, and wish you luck doing it. ........Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Took me 50 years of building cycles to just do a leaf fork, on my Simplex, but always liked the look now I also like the ride!

Rick C.

Reactions: kelly dean

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Took me 50 years of building cycles to just do a leaf fork, on my Simplex, but always liked the look now I also like the ride!

Rick C.
Yes love them, can be tricky though. I did one with snowmobile spring and like your's with Monak style rockers, and they flipped and rockers locked. So had to make new rockers, if ever again would add extra leaves , or use trailer leaf, think that is what you used. but worked good, and a nice soft cuss-on ride. These i will test and ride firs before finishing the finial spring fit.........Curt