"In frame" gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Ive made a plastic 2 liter gas tank that fits inside the cantalever or "gas tank" area of a beach cruiser, eliminating the bulky on top bar gas tank.

The epoxy is still curing so I don't have any pictures of it on my bike yet but I will post some tomorrow morning after I wake up when epoxy is cured.

It is the second one I've made. It was fairly easy. If anybody's interested on how I made it post something and I will post the instructions.

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Post the instruction anyways.
I like to read others invention techniques
It was rather easy to build. The majority of the time was spent waiting for the epoxy to cure.

I started out with the base of a "child at play" safety zone indicator. ( see pic below.)

I cut it in half leaving the top and bottom connecting area to be bent over and plastic welded closed.

I used the top of a 2 L Coke bottle for the fill hole and cap. Coating both of those also with the epoxy.

Next I had the inside coated in tank lining epoxy. The stuff I used is overkill and you can purchase tank liner from the internet. It will do the same thing.

Next i drilled a small 1/4 inch hole at the lowest parts of the tank and epoxied a small piece of chemical resistant tubing between the two to connect the two tanks and epoxied the two tanks together.

I covered the outside with a fiberglass tape that you would find in an orthopedic doctors office, the kind they make lightweight casts out of for setting broken bones. Which you can also purchase on the internet rather cheaply.

I drilled a small hole in the bottom right front corner where the petcock goes and drilled 3 small holes in the threaded area of the petcock to allow the fuel to flow into the gas line to feed the carb and epoxied that into place after epoxying a small metal plate across the bottom for rigidity. I will add an inline fuel filter when I install it on the bike.

Next I cut several pieces of black rubber matting, the kind you would use to line a koi pond and used 3M spray adhesive to attach the rubber to the outside areas of the tank top bottom and sides.

I cut a couple pieces of thin aluminum flashing to the shape of the left and right sides of the tank and also used spray adhesive to attach those to the rubber matting. The metal flashing was more for looks than anything.

After waiting for all of that to cure it was ready to go. I filled it with water and did a pressure test on it and it was entirely sealed.

Unfortunately I have not had the time to install it on my bike yet but when I do I will post pictures.

It turned out pretty freaking awesome if I do say so myself. There is nothing like it on the internet and I am thinking of pitching the idea to bikeberry or one of these motorbike parts distributors.

And yes I have taken the necessary precautions to protect the patent on it. It's nothing really more than just a gas tank for a Quadrunner but shaped to fit inside the cantilever or gas tank area of the bike.

I hope I can find someone to help me get this on the market because I think it really would be a great aftermarket accessory that will make the bicycle look more like a motorcycle.

Build time minus the epoxy cure time 1 hr.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
My neighbor puts that little flag man out in the middle of the street every afternoon.
I tried to snag it but I got busted, So I guess I can't make a tank. LOL

Your very creative with what ya got, good job.

As a seasoned motor biker as you are and your vast amount of knowledge, I take that as a HUGE compliment sir! Thanks Wrench! You humble me.

You rock big dawg!

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
I know it looks rough but now that I have it built I can work on the cosmetics. I had to add a breather tube because of vacume lock from there being just one connector tube between the two tanks, so what I did is instead of adding a breather hole to alleviate the vacuum problem I just added a second connector tube in the small section towards the back to allow for even gas flow into the second chamber.