Im thinking

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just got the 25cc engine in for my next build. It does not have a throttle as we know it or a kill wire that I can find.

The throttle might not be a big deal since I have a working carb for it with throttle control.

If I decide to install a kill switch even though I think it will choke off my last one did. Why not put a wire from a switch under the magneto cap of the spark plug and then a wire from the other leg of the switch to the frame. Any reason that wouldn't work.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
are you meaning shorting the voltage going to the spark plug to ground to kill it? if so I wouldn't do that. Spark plugs use a min of 10k volts.

take the lead that goes from your magneto to whatever ignition module it has, and put the switch in there. On lets the voltage pass, off it doesn't.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
there is no lead from the magneto pickup. It only has the spark plug wire. If I don't this I have a magneto from the 25cc I ruined that has a place for a wire to make a kill switch. I will have to give it some thought.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Why not put a wire from a switch under the magneto cap of the spark plug and then a wire from the other leg of the switch to the frame. Any reason that wouldn't work.
I tried this because I read sooo much on frying magnetos on the HT's. I couldnt get the engine started, because I believe, the high voltage was "jumping" the contacts of the kill switch. I tried it with the kill switch on the stock HT throttle. A switch might work better.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I tore the engine down even farther and found the clip for the magneto kill switch. So that will be done instead of the spark plug wire. Thanks for the advice anyway.