Idle slow to drop after gassing

GoldenMotor.com

Arazzer

May 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

My name is Jake, and I've been following these forums closely the past week or so as I've motorized my old diamond back mountain bike. I fitted it with an 80cc zeda motor:

http://fastbikemotors.com/ZEDA-Silver-66-80cc-Bike-Engine-Kit.html

The bike is running pretty solid through the constant adjustments I've been making to it, however, I've been struggling a bit with the idle from the start. I've found that when I release the clutch, the engine's RPMs will sky rocket. I can remedy this sometimes by messing with the idle screw, but even then, when I give it a good rev at idle, the RPMs will take anywhere from 2-10 seconds or longer to get back down to idle. This is usually the case, however, sometimes, for whatever reason, it'll act perfectly normal and drop right back to idle. I have read that symptoms like these are sometimes the result of an air leak, I clamped down the connection from the carb to the jug intake as hard as I could, tightened everything else.

As far as when I'm not in idle, the bike seems to run great. It's not as smooth as my motorcycle obviously and there's clearly some vibration, but it definitely pulls! Could it be an air leak even if it seems like performance is good? I would just ignore it, however, at lights when I pull the clutch in it gets disheartening when the engine starts racing.

Thanks in advance, enjoying the process!

Last edited:

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
You're on the right track. The high idle is a lean condition with the throttle closed. Does your carb have a idle/air mixture screw? If so they normally start at 1 1/2 turns out and in your case turning it in will richen the mix at idle. Turn it in a quarter. Take a ride. Repeat. If that's the problem you'll find the sweet spot.

Hope that helps.