Idaho Moped Law

Discussion in 'Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles' started by GreedyRogue, Feb 15, 2011.

1. jburr36

jburr36 New Member

This state is funny with the statutes though greedy. If one puts an engine on a skateboard (california has so many who do that) it has to be titled and registered and meet all FMVSS requirements and the rider needs a valid driver's license to operate it on any public road if you wish to go by the literal interpretation of the statutes. All that because the skateboard has 4 wheels.

My moped will be limited to 30 mph so the classification of a moped for it won't change therefore I am in the right forum.

2. jburr36

jburr36 New Member

Do you have a standard hand operated clutch? If so then according to you you are in violation of the law too. ROTFL. As I stated, the police didn't have anything regarding gears or clutching on their guidelines. So what. Also technically I disengage the drive system each time I change a gear.

LOL. People and their glass houses.

#122 jburr36, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Active Member

Well GR, do you have a centrifugal clutch, or the stock dry clutch? Unless it's centrifugal, it's not the legal one.

To correct my post :

A motorized bicycle that is registered as a motorcycle can still retain it's pedals. If it's on a bicycle frame the state may view it as a motorcycle, but it'd still be a motorized bicycle. Just a BA motorized bike.

You're getting in a major tissy, calm down.

#123 DuctTapedGoat, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. jburr36

jburr36 New Member

Eh, Greedy... I just did some checking on the shift kit with the police. I told them how the shift kit is attached and works as well as the how the engine drive transmission works. They asked me if shifting is REQUIRED to operate my moped normally and I said no. I can start off in 4th gear while pedal assisting up to speed or I can start off in 1st without pedal assisting up a hill and not have to shift gears and since it's a cent clutch it's considered an automatic drive system. So technically I can only change gears while stopped or when the drive system is disengaged. BUT AND GET THIS....THIS IS KEY... my output shaft from the gearbox on the engine has a freewheel on it and it is connected to the shift kit jackshaft by a chain. According to the cop I spoke with technically every time I throttle off the engine it is automatically disengaged FROM THE DRIVE SYSTEM WITHOUT ANY ACTION FROM THE OPERATOR because of that freewheel since when I release the throttle the engine returns to idle and the cent clutch automatically disengages the engine from the drive sytem even when I am coasting. So technically according to the cop I can shift gears after I release the throttle because the drive system i automatically disengaged at that point.

We agreed that I would be shifting the gears before the drive system is automatically engaged every time I release the throttle and not after because of that wonderful little freewheel on the output shaft of the gearbox.

I have a twist grip shifter next to the throttle grip positioned in a way that I have no choice but to release the throttle every time I shift a gear. I am 100% legal regarding the mechanical requirements of my bike, pal.

ROTFL!!

P.S. There is no need to insult and berate others that disagree with you. That only makes you look bad in the end whether you are right or wrong.

#124 jburr36, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. Mwilso27

Mwilso27 New Member

So here it is in Idaho you do not need to title register or insure your Moped as long as you do not exceed 30mph, 2 break (most 50cc are rated at 1.6) and no bigger than 50cc. You do however need a license to operate it so if you don't have a license go to Montana you're safe there.

HERE'S THE CATCH:
    There are no new two strokes produced anywhere in the world that meet the 2006 federal clean air act rules that for the first time included 50cc and below motors. Most if the 4 stroke small motors can't meet it either. However from the research I've done is the EPA goes after manufacturers and importers of the motors. The motor engine I bought was already in the US. So I didn't import the motor. You also cannot build these bikes and sell them to people for street use. The loophole that allows these motors in says that racing bikes don't need to comply with the clean air act and the fact that when not installed on anything they are considered parts and that is not regulated to the extent of a vehicle. Here's some good news the EPA probably won't go after a individual just trying to get to work don't sell them though. I personally never have seen anyone being pulled over by the EPA. I also checked with the Idaho environmental protection agency and they do in fact enforce the federal clean air act for the most part but not small engines and the motor vehicle law doesn't specify 2 or 4 stroke as long as it is under 50cc. As for the lights and safety required Idaho law in this case is stricter than federal law. While unregulated at the federal level Mopeds in Idaho are required to comply with the fmvss for motor driven cycle. In the federal regulations there are two classifications of motor driven cycles one for speeds less than 30mph and one for greater than 30mph. You need a light in the front only if you operate at night and a rear reflector no rear lights are required at any time. No turn signals are required. I am still not sure whether a mirror or horn is required but I don't think it would be a bad idea to have.