Hypothetically

GoldenMotor.com

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
By hanging a lower half of the engine by the same hole in the top of the connecting rod and measuring the upper most point of the magneto magnet to the case tell me if the motor has an advanced or retarded timing given I have the distance of a stock or standard timed motor?

Let it hang and mark the spot where 1 o'clock falls with due respect to where it should be.

Anything before 1 o'clock being retarded and after to be advanced.

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Yes I did this with a yd100 and the yd 100 clearly showed it was slightly advanced or further more forward of where 1 o'clock would be. Both motors are the same piston size, connecting rod and needle pin bearings size

Reactions: fasteddy

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Use a 'piston stop' to find TDC, then mark it on the magnet & engine case... then you can use a timing light to actually see what the timing is doing on both engines while they are running.

You won't be able to see the actual timing numbers, without a degree wheel; but this will give you an idea about any differences in total advance (& basic timing position) between the two.

I posted a video on here several years ago showing how the timing advances on a stock CDI using a degree wheel & timing light.

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Use a 'piston stop' to find TDC, then mark it on the magnet & engine case... then you can use a timing light to actually see what the timing is doing on both engines while they are running.

You won't be able to see the actual timing numbers, without a degree wheel; but this will give you an idea about any differences in total advance (& basic timing position) between the two.

I posted a video on here several years ago showing how the timing advances on a stock CDI using a degree wheel & timing light.
Thank you Norm! You are a powerhouse of knowledge! I will check out the vid. Thank you sir!