Hub Mounted vs Spoke Driven

GoldenMotor.com

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
Is spoke driven rear wheel better for the back wheel because it doesn't *Crush* the rear hub? Spokes are cheap and replaceable, but the rear hub is not. A lot of people think rear hub driven is superior, but do any of you use spoke driven for a specific purpose, perhaps to PRESERVE your rear hub?

May 22, 2020
Is spoke driven rear wheel better for the back wheel because it doesn't *Crush* the rear hub? Spokes are cheap and replaceable, but the rear hub is not. A lot of people think rear hub driven is superior, but do any of you use spoke driven for a specific purpose, perhaps to PRESERVE your rear hub?
I'm by no means above amateur-level knowledge but it would seem the hub clamp would be safer as the spokes are much easier to break than a hub. I may be completely wrong but it makes sense to me. Also have you looked into hubs "disc-brake ready" that have the holes pre-drilled to mount a disc or sprocket on?

Reactions: wheelbender6

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
There is a type that clamps to the hub but uses the rag joint to drive the wheel. Makes centering the sprocket very easy. The rag joint is really strong solution and takes the load off the hub.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Going with friction drive is the easiest on spokes and hubs, but it doesn't work well in wet climates.