Huasheng 5/8 straight shaft engine clutch options

GoldenMotor.com

ThatOtherGuy

Jul 30, 2024
I'm interested in an engine with as narrow width as possible. I don't like the wide crank sets. I've built a 2 stroke before and that was fine.

I'd like a 4 stroke option but want to keep width to a minimum.

There is a Huasheng that is available with a 5/8 straight shaft and was thinking a standard gocart/mini bike clutch seems like it would work. Such a clutch with the drive gear inside would (if possible) would allow the most compact width as far as I can tell of any option.

Thought I'd ask if anyone here has done that or knows of it being done or knows it could be done.

Any other options that could reduce width?

Remove recoil starter and?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I'm interested in an engine with as narrow width as possible.
I'd like a 4 stroke option but want to keep width to a minimum.

If your talking 4 strokes
Whizzer motorbike 138cc 4t side valve engine is the most compact because it's purpose made to fit in a bicycle frame

But buying a complete Whizzer or building a Whizzer M/B from scratch is gonna be alot more $$$$ than a Huasheng M/B Kit

Attachments

ThatOtherGuy

Jul 30, 2024
What about a used/NOS whizzer engine. Could that be had? What are they're HP, reliability and ability to use chain/sprockets?

I take it that the bike in the photos is you're bike. Looks like plenty of HP if you're doing 50mph for my purpose.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
What about a used/NOS whizzer engine. Could that be had? What are they're HP, reliability and ability to use chain/sprockets?

I take it that the bike in the photos is you're bike. Looks like plenty of HP if you're doing 50mph for my purpose.

My Bike is a 2005 NE-5 with auto clutch - I've made performance modifications

Whizzer Motorbike is Belt drive

Last edited:

ThatOtherGuy

Jul 30, 2024
Buying a whizzer engine? Ebay?

I just learned recently that there are modern made Whizzers. Previous I had thought they were all from the 40's-maybe 60's.

Reactions: wrench

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Yeah E bay might have some engines or complete bikes There also still a few guys who will sell an engine
Sadly there's no Whizzer Dealers in USA anymore but parts or bikes can still be found on
E bay, ecrater, Private Parties or Taiwan

Hers a link to the Modern Whizzer WC-1 Manufacturer in Taiwan

If you want a used Engine or used parts contact @mason_man maybe he has something for you

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
There are also Whizzer Like Parts, so you should know.

I bought a non-Whizzer Company belt sheave for my 26inch rim when my home made job cracked twice. Aluminum is not Steel.

It slipped a lot until a year after I had it, I saw that the butt weld on the extruded and bent in a circle steel, had a lump that was not ground down and sanded smooth. Once with Dremel and emery cloth sanded smooth, it grabs very good.

The only thing I have a problem with is centrifugal clutches are not like a cable hand lever type clutch. So it is still such I will leave it this way.

Mini bike clutch for 15inch wheels and a teenager of lighter weight and I never knew centrifugal clutch to slip. Add more weight, even with 20:1 jackshaft reduction, a heavy bike just is not a steep hill climber.

MT

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Buying a whizzer engine? Ebay?

I just learned recently that there are modern made Whizzers. Previous I had thought they were all from the 40's-maybe 60's.
Modern Whizzers and Vintage Whizzer are for sale all the time on e bay
Most sellers want a fortune but sometimes an honest seller will come up on E Bay and sell a Modern Whizzer in good condition or in new condition for $1k - $2k
Poor/Fair condition $500 - $1k

NEW in 1999 WC-1 sold for $1,450 and in 2005 the NE-5 sold for $1,750
2009 the Ambassador sold for $2K

Vintage Whizzer are more expensive but still can be found at reasonable prices

Last edited:

ThatOtherGuy

Jul 30, 2024
They look like nice bikes saw them going for too much beyond my price range at the moment though.

I'd like to get back to my original question of does anyone know if a mini-bike/go cart clutch would work with the Huashang.

Engine has 5/8" straight shaft with keyway. Clutch is 5/8" bore with keyway.

I don't see how that wouldn't work but have looked online and have seen not one set up like that.